Professional School Counseling
The Master of Science (M.S.) program in Professional School Counseling prepares counselors for New York State certification as School Counselors. The program is designed to develop specific areas of competency in human growth and development; social and cultural foundations; helping relationships; groups; career development; appraisal; research and evaluation; and professional orientation.
The program prepares school counselors to:
- help elementary and secondary pupils gain understanding of their social, intellectual, and emotional development,
- be knowledgeable about educational, occupational, and social opportunities,
- have decision-making and planning skills,
- communicate effectively with school personnel, parents, and particularly with students, about issues that facilitate or inhibit personal planning, self-esteem, achievement, and choice.
Graduates of the Professional School Counseling program have demonstrated that they are ready to assume a role that is central, rather than peripheral, to teaching and learning in the schools; to involve parents in the choices, plans, decisions, and learning activities of the students; and to view school counseling in a framework that is developmental and comprehensive, from kindergarten through 12th grade.
After completing their M.S. degree, school counselors seeking to earn New York State permanent certification are encouraged to enroll in the programs 12-credit advanced certificate program.
All matriculated students complete a signed program schedule. Any change in stated coursework must receive written approval of the assigned faculty advisor.
Applicants for admission to the Professional School Counseling program must meet the general admission requirements to Sage Graduate School and must complete an:
- Interview with an advisor after all materials have been submitted
- Assessment of writing skills
SCP 502 Critical Thinking: Research into Practice 3
SCP 540 Knowledge, Skills, and Contextual Dimensions of School Counseling 3
SCP 550 Role of the Counselor 3
SCP 553 Career Counseling 3
SCP 555 Group Procedures in School Counseling 3
SCP 560 Pre-practicum in School Counseling 3
SCP 571 Working with Parents in Education 3
PSY 571 Counseling 3
SCP 575 Appraisal Process in School Counseling 3
SCP 585 Counseling in Schools with Culturally Diverse Populations 3
SCP 586 Practicum in School Counseling PreReq:SCP 560 6
SCP 587 Internship in Guidance & Counseling (600 clock hours) * 9
Choose one of the following:
___SCP 594 Implementing ASCA National Model
___SCP 535 Conflict Resolution in School Settings
___SCP 596 Integrating Mindfulness into School Counseling Practices
___PSY 548 Counseling and Child Psychopathology 3
Total Credits: 48
* 36 credits must be completed prior to the internship and must have approval of the program director.
Non Credit Requirements
Identifying & Reporting Child Abuse 0
School Violence Prevention Workshop 0
National Accreditation Advantage
Sage's Esteves School of Education received accreditation from the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) in October 2001. NCATE accreditation means that graduates are recognized as having completed an Education program that meets the highest standards in the field. Sage graduates should note the NCATE accreditation on their resumes and be prepared to talk about its significance.
- Sage is one of only 28 colleges and universities in New York State to receive prestigious NCATE accreditation. Across the nation, relatively few private colleges can claim this level of excellence in teach education programs.
- The NCATE accreditation process helped articulate what qualities a Sage educator, counselor, or leader possesses: belief in full inclusion, valuing diversity, reflection, and knowledge about best practices. NCATE accreditation is a mark of assurance that teachers, counselors, and leaders educated at Sage are competent, caring, and highly qualified.
- NCATE accreditation means that Sage graduates are better prepared to help their students reach high standards.
- Graduates of NCATE accredited programs can more easily receive certification and teaching jobs in other states; NCATE is recognized throughout the nation.