Annual Spring Speakers Series
The Sage Colleges’ Esteves School of Education hosted its first Annual Spring Speakers Series in 2011, featuring three events—an Mohawk Chief, author and statesman; a state teacher of the year recipient; and a documentary and panel presentation on Native American residential boarding schools.
The annual speakers series events are designed to bring pre-service teachers, practicing educational teachers and professionals, and the greater community together to listen to the diverse perspectives of prominent individuals who are considered experts in their respective areas of education and to share in a collegiate discussion of the topics presented.
Each spring, the Esteves School of Education will host three events for the Sage community, alumni, and the public. Events are traditionally held in Bush Memorial Auditorium on the Russell Sage (Troy) campus.
2013 Spring Speaker Series
All events to take place in Bush Memorial Auditorium, Russell Sage (Troy) campus, from 7:30-9:00 p.m.
Tuesday, February 12: Race to Nowhere
- Film followed by panel presentation facilitated by Dr. Lisa Carr
Thursday, March 7: Dr. Russell Sabella
- Professor of Counseling, Department of Leadership, Counseling & Educational Technology, College of Education, Florida Gulf Coast University
Monday, March 18: Dr. Patricia Edwards
Building a Strong Foundation for School Success around the Common Core Standards at Home and School.
- Distinguished Professor, Michigan State University, Teacher Education Department
2012 Elected Member, Reading Hall of Fame; 2010-2011 President, International Reading Association; Past President, Literacy Research Association
Thursday, March 21: Jay Worona, Esq.—A Skating Tour Through Recent Court Cases
- Affecting the Operation of Public Education in the State and Nation
General Counsel, New York State School Boards Association, Inc.
Thursday, March 28: Greg Ahlquist—Teaching Is a Measure of My Gratitude
- NYS Teacher of the Year for 2013
AP World History Teacher, AP European History Teacher, Webster Thomas High School
- To be introduced by Dr. Oliver Robinson, NYS Superintendent of the Year, Superintendent at Shenendahowa