Laurae Coburn, Ph.D.
Department: Professional Education Program
Rank: Associate Professor
Program: Professional School Counseling
Phone: 802.342.3115 (cell)
Office: Education 205B
- Ph.D., Counselor Education, Ohio University
- M.S.Ed., Counseling, Ohio University
- B.S.Ed., Elementary Education, Ohio University
Professional Education Certifications:
- Nationally Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Licensed Clinical Health Counselor - Vermont (LCMHC)
- Licensed Addictions counselor - Vermont (LADC)
- SCP 540 - Knowledge, Skills, and Contextual Dimensions of School Counseling
- SCP 555 - Group Counseling in the Schools
- SCP 596 - Incorporating Mindfulness into Your School Practices
- SCP 502 - Critical Thinkers: Research into Practice
- SCP 535 - Conflict Resolution
- SCP 587 - Internship
- Mindfulness Practices in Counseling
- Grief Counseling
- Faculty Development Committee 2007-2010
- Committee for Rank, Tenure, and Promotion
- Sage Graduate School Curriculum Committee
I am a certified yoga teacher. I love to spend time with my three dogs, and enjoy my mountain home in Vermont.
- Coburn, L (2015). Coburn, L. Mindfulness Based Conflict Resolution. Journal of National Social Science Proceedings, Volume 57.
- Coburn, L (2012). Coburn, L. Teaching and Learning in the Here and Now. Journal of National Social Science Proceedings, Volume 51.
- Coburn, L. (2009) Descriptive research. The Encyclopedia of Counseling. Erford, B. (ed). The American Counseling Association, Alexandria: VA.
- Coburn, L. (2007). An Intern Misperceived. Critical Incidents in Supervision, Tyson, L (ed). The American Counseling Association, Alexandria: VA.
- Coburn, L. Mindfulness Based Conflict Resolution. Presented at the 2015 New York State School Counselor’s Conference in Lake George New York: November 21,2015.
- Coburn, L. Mindfulness Based Conflict Resolution. presented at the 2014 National Social Science Association Conference in San Francisco, California on October 7, 2014.
- Coburn, L. Bringing Mindful Practices to our Schools presented at the Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung Center for the Promotion of Mental Health and School Safety Spring Summit on May 30,2014.
- Coburn, L. & Gallagher, L. Yoga in the Schools. Poster Presentation at the 2014 Inaugural National Yoga in the Schools Symposium at Kripalu Institute in Lenox, Massachusetts on April 24, 2005.
- Gallagher, L. & Coburn, L. Playing with Purpose: Mindful Practices for Children and Caregivers. Presented at the Vermont Foster and Adoptive Family Association Annual Conference on March 22, 2014.
- Coburn, L. Mindful Self Care for Counselors presented at the Niskayuna School Counselor Professional Development on February 4, 2014.
- Coburn, L., Stahl, M., & Carr, L. Counselor Self Care: Preventing Burnout through Increasing Mindful Self-Care Presented at the 2013 New York State Counselors Conference in Syracuse, New York on November 1, 2013.
- Coburn, L. Integrating Service Learning into Counselor Preparation: Learning through Paying it Forward presented at the 2013 National Social Science Association Conference in New Orleans, Louisiana on October 8, 2013.
- Coburn, L. Stress Management and Self-Care. Presented at the 2013 Youth Development Conference for New York Liberty Partnerships on March 15, 2013 at SUNY Cobleskill.
- Coburn, L. & Gallagher,L. Integrating Yoga Practices into Psychotherapy for Survivors of Developmental Trauma. Presented at the Bennington School Clinical Professional Development Training on December 11th 2013 in Bennington, Vermont.
- Coburn, L. Teaching and Learning in the Here and Now. Presented at the 2012 National Social Science Conference. Albuquerque, New Mexico on October 16, 2012.
- Coburn, L. Yoga and Mindfulness Workshop. Presented at the 21012 May College at The Sage Colleges on May 15, 2012.
- Jarvis, D., Coburn, L, Phillips, K, & Monnat, M. Your New Best Friends: Building Relationships with your Local Hospital CEO, FQHC Director, and Primary Care Providers. Presented at the 2011 National Council Mental Health and Addictions Conference in San Diego, California on May 2, 2011.
- Noble, D., O’Brien, D, & Coburn, L. A Model for Local Integration. Presented at the 2011 Behavioral Health Network of Vermont Annual Conference on February 4, 2011.
- Coburn, L. (participant in panel presentation). Cyber Bullying: Keeping Children Safe. Albany, New York, December 9, 2010.
- Coburn, L. Creating Outcome Based Rubrics for School Counseling Programs. Presented at the 2008 North Atlantic Regional Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Portland, Maine on September 20, 2008.
- Coburn, L & VandeMark, C. Emotional Intelligence, Anger Management, and Bullying. Presented at the 2007 New York Marriage and Family Therapists Conference. Troy, New York on May 4, 2007.
- Pickering, D & Coburn. Incorporating Social Justice Principles into Community and School Counselor Preparation Programs. Presented at the 2007 National Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. Columbus, Ohio on October 11, 2007.
- Pickering D, &. Coburn, L. Incorporating Social Justice Principles into Community and School Counselor Preparation Programs. Presented at The 2006 North Atlantic Regional Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. Lake George, NY
- Coburn, L. Challenging Traditional Models of Grief Counseling: The Role of Individualized Approaches in the Treatment of the Bereaved. Presented at The 2006 New York Counseling Association Annual Conference. Saratoga Springs, NY on Saturday September 30, 2006.
- Pickering D, & Coburn, L. Incorporating Social Justice into Counseling and School Counseling Preparation and Practice. Presented at the 2006 Counselor’s View of Italy Tour. Regello, Italy on May 25, 2006.
- Coburn, L. & Levitt, D. Challenging Traditional Models of Grief Counseling: The Role of Individualized Approaches in the Treatment of the Bereaved. Presented at the 2005 American Counseling Association Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Coburn, L. & Pickering, D, & Leinbaugh, T. Clinical Evaluation and Assessment of Attachment Disorders: From Theory to Treatment. Presented at the 2005 American Counseling Association Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Coburn, L.; Pickering, D. Partnering with Schools and Community Mental Health Centers in Assessing and Evaluating of Attachment Disorders. Presented at the 2005 North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. St. Louis, MO.
- Levitt, D.; Coburn, L. & Miller, H. Partnerships, Mentorships, and Supervision: Multiple Relationships for Counselor Educators. Presented at the 2005 North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. St. Louis, MO.