Kathleen Gormley, Ph.D.
Rank: Associate Professor of Literacy, MTX Program Director
Skype Name: KayGormley (Location: Lake George)
Office: Gurley 205
- Ph.D., Reading, The University at Albany
- Dissertation: Memory Strategies Used by Deaf, Severely Hearing Impaired and Normal Hearing Children on Consonant Strings Related to Reading
- M.S., Reading, The University at Albany
- B.S., Psychology/Sociology and Elementary Education, Russell Sage College
Professional Education Certifications:
- Elementary Education (K-6) (Certificate in NYS, Maine)
- Reading Teacher (K-12) (Certificate in NYS)
- MTX 556 Literacy and Technology in the K-12 Classroom
- RWL 572/MTX 503 Literacy Assessment
- RWL 602 Diagnosis of Reading and Writing Problems
- RWL 604 Teaching Struggling Readers and Writers
- RWL 606 Practicum: Reading and Writing Difficulties
Digital literacy, access to digital literacy, teachers’ use of digital literacy, diagnosis of reading and writing problems, online teaching
- Gormley, K. & McDermott, P. (2010). Diagnostic traditions in reading. In A.
- McGill-Franzen & R. Allington (Eds.), Handbook of Reading Disability. Mahwah, N.J: Erlbaum Associates.
- Gormley, K. A., & McDermott, P. (2010). How social bookmarking can help the 21st
- Century teacher. The Language and Literacy Spectrum, 20, 5-15.
- International Reading Association
- National Council of Teachers of English
- New York State Reading Association
- NYSRA Conference Co-Coordinator 2011
- Co-Chair, NYSRA Sub-committee on Digital Literacy
- A Comparison of Children’s Use of Digital Literacies in Urban and Suburban Schools. Paper submitted for presentation at American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA. April 2011. (with Peter McDermott)
- Incorporating Multiple Literacies in Teaching: How to Get Started. Presentation to be made at the New York State Reading Association, Saratoga Springs, March 2011. (with Peter McDermott)
- Multiple Literacies to Engage Learners: Advanced Web 2.0 Tools. Presentation to be made at the New York State Reading Association, Saratoga Springs, March 2011. (with Peter McDermott and Debbie Dermady)
- Multiple Literacy: Help Sessions. Presentations (four) to be made at the New York State Reading Association, Saratoga Springs, March 2011. (with Peter McDermott and Debbie Dermady)
- A comparison of urban and suburban children’s access to and knowledge of the digital literacies. Paper Presented at the New England Educational Research Organization’s Annual Conference, Portsmouth, New Hampshire, April 7-9, 2010.
- Taking the Fast Track in Literacy by Using Technology. Presentation at the New York State Reading Association, Saratoga Springs, March 2010.
- Digital literacies in urban and suburban schools. Paper Presented at the Ethnography and Urban Education Research Forum, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, February 26-27, 2010.
- Digital literacy: The promise for NYSRA. Presentation to the New Your State Reading Association Board. January 22, 2010.
- Coordinator, MTX Program (Masters in Teaching Excellence)
- Adviser, RSC Childhood Education Transfer Students
- Middle States, Member of Work Group 1 for Institutional Report
- Rubin Board
- Ark Community Charter School
- Board Member
- Education Sub-Committee Member
- Teacher Preparation Programs, Hudson Valley Community College, Advisory Board Member
- The Ark, Board Member (After School Arts and Literacy Program)
- Teach the literacy clinical sequence (RWL 602, 604, 606) in Harmony Hill School in Cohoes, NY. Work closely with Mark Perry, Principal to deliver literacy tutoring through the Sage Literacy Program at Harmony Hill where I supervise my graduate students teaching at-risk learners.
- Ark Community Charter School—provide literacy workshops as needed.
Hobbies include bike riding, hiking, reading and traveling.