John Wands Sacca, Ph.D.
Department: Teaching and Learning
Areas of Interest: Adolescent Literature
Skype Name: JohnWandsSacca (Location: Albany)
Office: Walker, 304
- Ph.D., Foundations of Education, The University at Albany
- M.S., Secondary Education, the College of Saint Rose
- M.A., European History, The University at Albany
- B.A., Chinese Studies, The University at Albany
Professional Education Certifications:
- Mandarin Chinese (NYS, 7-12, Certificate No. 4871, September 1979)
- Social Studies (NYS, 7-12, Certificate No. 4871, September 1979)
- Education of Chinese overseas students in the United States, 1904-1937
- Enlistment of schoolmasters in the U.S. Army between 1866-1897
- CHI 101 Mandarin Chinese
- EDU 406 Middle School Student Teaching
- EDU 413 Elementary Social Studies Methods
- EDU 474 Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- EDU 502 Critical Thinking: Research into Practice
- EDU 523 Teaching in the Humanities
- EDU 574 Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- EDU 579 Social Justice through Reading YA and Children’s Literature
- EDU 594 Critical Thinking: Research into Practice
- EDU 656/7/8/9 Adolescent Social Studies Student Teachers and Interns
- MTA 514 Secondary Social Studies Methods
- MTA 578 Effective Teaching for All Learners
- MTX 574 Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- MTX 579 Social Justice through Reading YA and Children’s Literature
- SED 574 Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- Sacca, J.W. Contributor to Parker, W.C. (2009). Social studies in elementary education (14th ed.). New York: Allyn & Bacon/Pearson.
- Sacca, J.W. (2006). “Like Strangers in a Foreign Land: Chinese Officers Prepared at American Military Colleges, 1904-1937.” Journal of Military History, 70(3), 703-742.
- Sacca, J.W. (2002). Review Essay: “The Lost Cause: Myth as Educational Metaphor in the New South.” History of Education Quarterly, 42(2), 247-255.
- Sacca, J.W. (2000). Book Review: Making Citizen-Soldiers: ROTC and the Ideology of Americn Military Service, by Michael S. Neiberg, Journal of Military History, 64(4), 1215-1216.
- Sacca, J.W. (2000). Book Review: Education and Empire: Naval Tradition and England’s Elite Schooling, by David McClean, History of Education Quarterly, 40(1), 110-112.
- Sacca, J.W. (1995). “Civil War NCOs.” The NCO Journal, 5(5), 16-17.
- Sacca, J.W. (1995). “Technicians and Leaders.” The NCO Journal, 5(3), 24-25.
- Sacca, J.W. (1995). “NCO Pay.” The NCO Journal, 5(3), 39.
- Sacca, J.W. (1990). “From Coast Artillery to Air Defense Artillery.” Air Defense Artillery, (March-April), 38-41.
- Sacca, J.W. (2006). "Like Strangers in a Foreign Land: Chinese Officers Prepared at American Military Colleges, 1904-1937." Journal of Military History, 70(3), 703-742.
- Association for Asian Studies, Ann Arbor, MI
- Society for Military History, Lexington, VA
- History of Education Society, Slippery Rock, PA
- World History Association, Honolulu, HI
- Chinese Language Teachers Association [中文教師學會], Honolulu, HI
- International Reading Association, Newark, DE
- Association of the United Stated Army, Washington, D.C.
- “Tongban Tongxue [同班同學]: Alumni Relationships of Chinese General Officers in the 32nd Year of the Republic.” World War II: A 50-Year Perspective, Siena College, June 4, 1993.
- “In Our Own Image: General Sun Liren [孫立人將軍] and Military Professionalism in Republican China.” New York State Conference on Asian Studies, Cornell University, November 23, 1991.
- “Using Generalizations and Concepts in the Teaching of Chinese History.” New York State Conference on Asian Studies, Syracuse University, November 11. 1989.
- “Coast Defense at Fort Monroe and Willets Point, 1867-1908.” Fifty-sixth Annual Meeting of the American Military Institute, Virginia Military Institute, April 14, 1989.
- “History of the Noncommissioned Officer Corps of the United States Army.” Adirondack Chapter of the Company of Military Historians, Albany, December 5, 1988.
- “Submarine Defense at Willets Point, New York. ”New York State Military History Symposium, Albany, February 21, 1988.
- “Gentlemen Rankers: Enlisted Schoolmasters in the U.S. Army, 1866-1897.” History of Education Society, Nashville Tennessee, November 2, 2013.
- Adviser, SGS MSE Childhood Education Candidates
- Tutor and translator, Chinese overseas student
- Troy City School District —presenter of in-service workshops.
- Troy YWCA – coordinator for GED tutoring.
Community service: Operations Officer, 2nd Emergency Response Battalion, 10th Brigade, NYG.