Joan Dacher, PhD
Director, Doctor of Nursing Science Program
234 Ackerman Hall
Troy, NY 12180
- Post-Doctoral Certificate: Harvard Medical School: Palliative Care, Education and Practice
- Ph.D., Nelson Rockefeller College of Public Affairs and Policy, State University of New York at Albany, Social Welfare, Gerontology, Health Policy
- M.S. Nursing, Hunter College, City University of New York, Gerontology Nurse Practitioner Program
- B.S. Nursing, Downstate Medical Center College of Nursing, State University of New York
- NYS RN License
- NYS Nurse Practitioner in Gerontology
- AHA CPR/FPR with AED Provider
- 2012 Letter of intent to New York State Health Foundation for a project entitled The Health Homes Collaboration Project (with B. Pieper and B. Romanoff). Budget: $227,676. Declined.
- 2012 The Sage College’s Provost’s Faculty Research Award for The Sage Colleges-Rensselaer County Health Home Collaborative, Phase I (with B. Pieper). Award: $1,000.00
- 2011 Letter of intent to Patient Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) for a project entitled Developing and Evaluating Methodology for Identifying Patient-centered Outcomes for Persons with Chronic Mental Illness in an Emerging Service Environment of Health Homes (with C.MacNeil). Full grant not submitted, will pursue in the future.
Areas of Research/Research Interest
- Work and retirement for individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disability
- Palliative and End of Life Care
- Disability and Accessibility
- Vulnerable Populations
- 2013 Plenary Speaker: What is Palliative Care and How Does it Relate to the Field of Cancer? New York State Department of Health Conference: Cancer Prevention and Control: Making a Difference across Communities Putting the State Plan into Action. Albany, New York.
- 2013 Panelist: The Case for Palliative Care in Cancer Care. New York State Department of Health Conference: Cancer Prevention and Control: Making a Difference across Communities Putting the State Plan into Action. Albany, New York.
- 2012 Presenter: Agency Readiness for Palliative Care for People with Intellectual Disability. Third Age Conference, Saratoga, NY
- 2012 Integrating Independent Institutions: Results of a Course to meet IPEC competencies in Values/Ethics and Roles/Responsibilities. American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) annual meeting, Kissimmee, Florida. (with Scarpace, S.L., Kelman, G., Tenebaum, E., Pratt, D., White, B.)
- 2012 Work, Retirement and Policy Implications for Older Americans with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Gerontological Society of America, annual meeting, San Diego, Nov, 2012. Abstract accepted for oral presentation (with B. Pieper)
- 2012 Evolution or Revolution: One story of Health Homes Program Development in the US. International Qualitative Methods Health Research Conference, October, 2012, Montreal. Abstract accepted for oral presentation (with B. Pieper)
2013 Dacher, J. Palliative care in the critically ill older adult. Invited author for the Critical Care Nursing Clinics, Aging and Critical Care Issue, 25(4), 2013 (pending publication)
2012 Cannistraci, P., Dacher, J., Pieper, B. Health and Wellness: What adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities perceive as facilitators and barriers. Submitted to American Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. (revisions submitted)
2011 Frenn, D., & Kelman. G., Dacher, J & Austin, S. Defy diabetes-A Theoretical Framework. For submission to the Journal of Nursing Scholarship-Sigma Theta Tau International. (not accepted)
2011 Dacher, J.E., & Liuzzo, C., & Meissner, H. Supporting Frail and Elderly Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disability at Home at the End of Life. Submitted to the Journal of Hospice and Palliative Nursing. (article withdrawn)
2010 Dacher, J.E., Piper, B. An Investigation of the Meaning of Work and Its Translation into Meaningful Retirement for People with Intellectual Disabilities. International Journal of Qualitative Methods, 9(4). 2010. Published conference abstract. (Peer Reviewed)
2010 HPCANYS Palliative Care Information Act Resource Center, team leader for the development, design and written content of the web-based and CD resource for hospice and palliative care providers.
2009 Preventive Health Care Screening Guidelines for People Aging with Intellectual and Other Disabilities, for NYS Office of Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, Commissioner’s Task Force on Aging (with members of Task Force Subcommittee on Health, Prevention and Geriatric Assessment).
- Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State
- American Public Health Association
- Gerontological Society of America
- New York State Cancer Consortium
- Sigma Theta Tau
Selected Professional Leadership and Activity
2013 Member Advisory Committee, Empire State College School of Nursing
2013 Member Board of Directors, Visiting Nurse Association of Albany, Inc., Board liaison to Professional Practice Committee
2013 Chair, Palliative Care Committee, Hospice and Palliative Care Association of New York State
2011- present Robert Woods Johnson/Institute of Medicine New York State Regional Action Coalition: Doctoral Nursing Education Task Force, appointed