Distance Learning / On-Line DI Option
Academic Requirements – Online DI Format
1. Completion of the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) requirements by date of admission.
2. Baccalaureate Degree
3. Minimum overall GPA 3.0 with minimum GPA of 3.2 for DPD/Nutrition courses.
4. Technology Skills:
- Downloading and uploading text and video documents
- Saving files
- File organization
- Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Internet browsing
- General computer use
- Using Skype (Faculty often Skype with students for individualized meetings. Please get some experience using Skype before you are using it for class or advisement purposes to allow for the best possible experience for all parties involved.)
5. Work experience in nutrition, dietetics, or food service is desirable, but not required.
6. All DPD requirements from an ACEND accredited program must be completed within the past 4 years of applying to the Sage Dietetic Internship. An original, signed copy of the DPD Verification Statement must be provided to the Internship Director before the start of internship. If date on the DPD Verification statement is greater than 4 years prior to the start of internship, the applicant must demonstrate recency in the field by completing a minimum of four courses equivalent to the following Sage Colleges Nutrition Science Department courses: NTR325-Community Nutrition, NTR502-Advanced Food Science, NTR 504-Medical Nutrition Therapy; and NTR 517-Nutrition and Human Disease.
7. International Applications: International students must have a foreign degree evaluation report with the statement "regionally accredited" documented along with the degree equivalency. If not, students are required to contact the Foreign Degree Equivalency Evaluation Validation Agency to obtain a revised equivalency evaluation report. In addition to the above requirements, international applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 550 or computerized score of 213. Please contact the office of Graduate Admission for more information, https://www.sage.edu/admission/graduate/.
2013-2014 Distance Track Calendar
The 2013-2014 DI Class will tentatively begin August 26, 2013 and June 18, 2014. Tentative Distance Track 2013-2014 Calendar
Each of the following is a requirement for participation in all online dietetic internship courses.
- Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 for PC, Microsoft Office 2008 or 2011 for Mac or latest version (Mac documents must be converted to Microsoft documents for submitting assignments)
- Mozilla Firefox web browser (latest version)
- E-Portfolio/Web Site, such as webs.com (there are a number of free software options)
- QuickTime (Latest version)
- Skype (Latest version)
- Adobe Reader (Latest version)
- Prezi (latest version)
- Jing (free version)
- Joinme (latest version) - in place of DimDim
- Up-to-date antivirus and spyware protection
- Current windows updates
- A broadband internet connection (Cable or DSL)
- A computer that is no more than 5 years old
- Access to videotaping equipment
It is important to note that if you are accepted into a Sage program you will be required to use your Sage e-mail. All official correspondence will be sent to your Sage account.
The technology requirements may change at any time as new software and hardware is released or updated. Upgrades may be necessary throughout the program. Also refer to: http://www.sage.edu/resources/technology for more details about technology at Sage.
2013-2014 Required Supervised Practice Hours Breakdown
|ROTATION||NUMBER OF HOURS|
|Clinical Hours||600 hours|
Long Term Care
440 hours (11 weeks)
80 hours (2 weeks)
80 hours (2 weeks)
|Food Service Management||400 hours (10 weeks)|
|Community||280 hours (7 weeks)|
Required Practicum Hours and Example Schedules (download here)
The Distance DI at Sage participates in the DICAS application system.
Distance track interns are only required to secure their clinical practicum placement and their fall practicum placements prior to applying to the Sage Distance DI program. (If your clinical practicum is scheduled during the fall semester, then you only need to secure this one placement prior to applying.) Complete the "Practicum Rotation Preceptor Sign-up Form" and submit with your supplemental application. (See form below)
Supplemental Application Information
In addition to the online DICAS application, please complete the Sage DI Release Form, the Practicum Rotation Preceptor Sign-up Form, and mail with the Sage DI Application Fee, post marked by February 15, 2013 to:
Keri McComb, MS, RD, CDN
The Sage Colleges
65 First Street
Troy, NY 12180
1. Sage DI Application Release Form, complete one copy of this form:
2. Sage Practicum Rotation Preceptor Sign-up Form, complete one copy of this form:
3. A check for $40.00 payable to The Sage Colleges must accompany each DI Application Release Form. This fee is waived for current Russell Sage College and Sage Graduate students and graduates. Only one application fee is required if applying to both the Dietetic Internship and Sage Graduate Schools.
4. If also applying to a MS degree program, a copy of the entire online packet will be forwarded to Sage Graduate Admission Office after the internship review process is concluded. An additional application fee is not required. The DI Recommendation Forms will be used in place of the Graduate School references. A Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is not required.
It is the policy of The Sage Colleges to comply with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding equal opportunity and non-discrimination. Admission, financial aid, and access to programs will not be influenced or affected in an illegally discriminatory manner by an individual’s race, color, religion, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.
|Experience (work & volunteer)||35|
|Letter of Application||20|
|Letters of Recommendation||24|
|Total score possible:||140|
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Sage DI web site and attend an online Information Session via Skype. More detailed information about the program, work expectations and general information about Sage Graduate Schools will be discussed, an opportunity to ask questions about the internship and meet the faculty will be provided.
Interviews are not required, although an interview may be requested by the DI Manager via telephone or Skype.
After Acceptance into the Sage Distance DI
After acceptance into the Sage Distance DI program and prior to the start of the internship, ALL preceptors must complete the "Distance Track Preceptor Application Form" and submit 2 signed copies of "The Sage Colleges - Dietetic Internship Agreement" (see links above). The two original signed copies of the DI agreement should be mailed to:
Keri McComb, MS, RD, CDN
The Sage Colleges
65 First Street
Troy, NY 12180
Tuition and Fees
The current Sage Distance DI tuition is $450 per credit (24 certificate graduate credits @ $450/credit=$10,800.00). The Tuition Reimbursement Schedule for any courses dropped or withdrawn is found in The Sage Colleges Catalog.
Interns register for the fall semester courses (9 credits) in early summer, spring semester courses (9 credits) in mid-fall and the summer session course (6 credits) in March. Registration is incomplete until you have either paid or arranged for payment of all financial obligations to Sage.
Professional liability insurance must be purchased after June 1, 2012 yet prior to beginning the program and be valid through at least June 30, 2013. Students are responsible for acquiring their own appropriate medical insurance while participating in the internship. Full-time students (9 credits for graduate student) may purchase health insurance through The Sage Colleges. For information on this plan, contact the Office of Student Services at (518)244-2201 or click here.
Prospective students are encouraged to determine their financial status and need prior to applying to the DI. The application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed as early as possible. It can be completed online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/.
Due to the rigorous nature of the DI application process, anyone accepted/matched to the Sage Dietetic Internship Program automatically meets the MS in Applied Nutrition admission requirements. A separate application and review process is NOT needed. However, applicants MUST complete and submit the first form, Application for Admission, of the Sage Graduate Schools Self-Managed Application.
Payment plans for tuition are available.
For more information about Financial Aid, course registration and student accounts- click here.
Additional expenses such as physical examination and immunizations, professional liability and personal health insurance, required reference books, a trip to the Academy's annual FNCE meeting, and a full length lab coat will be the responsibility of the student. In addition, travel (gas, tolls and/or parking) to facilities must also be budgeted. Some cooperating institutions may also charge a parking fee. New projected cost for these incidentals is $3000.00, plus personal health insurance fees and housing and travel.
This internship participates in the Computer Matching Appointment process. There is a $50.00 fee for the computer matching.
|Tuition (24 graduate credits @ $450/credit)||10,800.00|
|FNCE Conference Attendance||1000.00|
|TOTAL - does not include room and board||$15,050.00|
|*This rate is for health insurance purchased directly from the college's insurance carrier and is subject to change prior to Sept. 2012. Interns who may be covered by either a parent or spouse's health insurance will not have this expense.|
Full Time Interns Register for:*
Fall Term: 2 courses (9 credits)= $4050.00
Spring Term: 2 courses (9 credits)= $4050.00
Summer Session 2013: 1 course (6 credits)= $2700.00
Part-time Register For:*
Fall Term '12: 1 course (6 credits)(continues in Spring '13)= $2700.00
Spring Term '13: no new courses
Summer Session 2013: 1 course (6 credits)= $2700.00+
Fall Term '13: 2 courses (9 credits) = $4050.00+
Spring Term 2014: 1 new course (3 credits)= $1350.00+
*Costs may be higher if graduate tuition is raised for 2013-2014
Applicants are encouraged to contact The Sage Colleges financial services office directly, (518) 244-2341, for further details and suggest checking the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' web site for scholarship information, www.eatright.org.
DI classes are online for one week in August; one week in December; one week in January; and 2 days in April. In addition, attendance at FNCE, the Academy's annual meeting is required. Travel expenses to FNCE are the responsibility of the intern.