What are the Benefits?
Sage College of Albany's (SCA) HEOP students have access to numerous benefits and support services provided by both the New York State Education Department and the staff at the college. Included among these services are:
- Financial Support: Once you are admitted to the HEOP program, you will receive a financial aid package that will meet your basic educational expenses. To be eligible for the standard HEOP financial aid package, all applicants must complete the FAFSA and apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP).
- Tutorial Services: HEOP will provide you with tutorial services to assist you with your academic courses. Tutorial services are conducted on a one-to-one basis or in groups, depending upon your needs. Tutors include both experienced peer tutors and professional tutors.
- Counseling Services: Counseling services are provided by the HEOP staff on an individual or group basis to assist with personal challenges interfering with academic work. HEOP students receive the following types of counseling: academic, personal, and career.
- Pre-College Summer Institute: Upon entering Sage College of Albany new students are required to take part in a five week Summer Immersion Program. The program is designed to orient you to college life, initiate a program of academic skill building, and acquaint you with peers and the services available through HEOP.
- Other Benefits:
- Supplemental Instruction;
- Four to five years of academic and financial support;
- Book allowance for those eligible students;
- Counseling in academic, financial, career, and personal concerns;
- Individualized peer and group tutoring services;
- Specialized group study sessions;
- Financial aid application review sessions;
- Personal growth and development workshops; and,
- Upon acceptance to a State University of New York Graduate School, eligibility for a HEOP Graduate Tuition Waiver (must be full-time).
SCA HEOP staff meet weekly with each student. Assistance from peer tutors, faculty members, and the use of computer labs also help students with the completion of classroom assignments. In addition, freshmen participate in a program during their first year at SCA that covers a wide array of topics to help them become master students.