Sage Art Gallery and Dance Instructor Lauded in Metroland’s “Best of the Capital Region 2012”
Albany & Troy, NY – The Sage Colleges are proud to learn that two significant players in the arts at Sage were voted best in their category in the Capital Region by alternative newsweekly Metroland. The popular round-up of area cultural favorites was released in the July 19, 2012 issue and online.
Best Gallery: Opalka Gallery
The Opalka Gallery was named “Best Gallery” – “A strong year for the decade-old (but still fresh and new) gallery on the Sage Campus. The Mark McCarty photography exhibit Skin was particularly memorable.”
The Opalka Gallery is the formal exhibition facility of The Sage Colleges. Located on Sage’s Albany campus, the Opalka's primary concentration is on work by professional artists from outside the region. The gallery frequently features multi-disciplinary projects and hosts poetry readings, recitals, and symposia, often in conjunction with its exhibitions.
Two major exhibits are planned for this fall at the Opalka:
(for more details, visit www.sage.edu/opalka/schedule/
- “Arrested Motion/Perilous Balance” by sculptor John Van Alstine
- Curated by Ruth Hall Daly
- August 27 – October 14, 2012
- Reception: Friday, September 7 from 5-9 pm
- Van Alstine carries the union of natural elements and man-made materials to a new plane and creates an aesthetically stunning marriage of centuries-old stone with contemporary metals.
- “In Search of the Miraculous: One Thing Leads to Another” by graphic designer Milton Glaser
- November 2 – December 14, 2012
- Reception: Friday, November 2 from 5-9 pm
- For many, Glaser is the personification of American graphic design. He is best known for co-founding New York Magazine, creating the enduring I Love NY campaign, and innumerable posters including the iconic Bob Dylan.
The Opalka Gallery was constructed in 2002 with funds generously donated by the Opalka family. The 7,400 square foot facility includes a vaulted gallery and a 75-seat lecture/presentation hall. The Opalka replaced Rathbone Gallery, which served The Sage Colleges for 25 years and garnered international attention for the quality and significance of its exhibitions. The Opalka Gallery is a member of The Exhibition Alliance, the Association of Academic Museums and Galleries, and the Museum Association of New York.
Best Dance Company: Ellen Sinopoli Dance Company
The Ellen Sinopoli Dance Company was named “Best Dance Company” – “Excellent in conception and performance are the key to Ellen Sinopoli’s aesthetic longevity; community outreach is the other.”
Sinopoli is a dance instructor & studio artist in residence at Russell Sage College. She founded the Ellen Sinopoli Dance Company in 1991, after settling in the Capital Region from Boston and New York City. As the artistic director and choreographer, she has created 35 new works for her dancers. The company is the resident dance company at The Egg in Albany. Beyond her role as artistic director and choreographer, she is noted for her talents as a master teacher and for her efforts to educate young people about dance. She is a teaching artist for the arts-in-education Institute for the Capital Region and North Country Sites. In addition to teaching at Russell Sage, she has taught at Skidmore College, Union College, Albany Berkshire Ballet, Saratoga City Ballet and Guilderland Ballet.
- The Ellen Sinopoli Dance Company will hold a site-specific performance at the Opalka Gallery choreographed in response to the exhibited works of sculptor John Van Alstine on Friday, September 21 at 7:30 p.m. This performance is open and free to the public and will consist of three 15-minute segments.