About The Opalka Gallery
Opalka Gallery is the formal exhibition facility of The Sage Colleges. Located on the Sage College of Albany campus, the Opalka's primary concentration is on work by professional artists from outside the region. An important aspect of the cultural life in the Capital Region, the Gallery frequently features multi-disciplinary projects and hosts poetry readings, recitals, and symposia, often in conjunction with its exhibitions.
The Opalka Gallery was constructed in 2002 with funds generously donated by the Opalka family. The 7,400 square foot facility includes a vaulted gallery and a 75-seat lecture/presentation hall. The Opalka replaced Rathbone Gallery, which served The Sage Colleges for 25 years and garnered international attention for the quality and significance of its exhibitions.
Opalka Gallery is a member of The Exhibition Alliance, the Association of Academic Museums and Galleries, and the Museum Association of New York.
The Gallery in the News
- Albany Times Union feature story
- Opalka Gallery voted "Best Gallery" in the Capital Region by Metroland
- August 27, 2012 through May 3, 2013, M-F 10-8, Sundays Noon-4
- Closed September 3, October 7-8, and November 21-25
- Open by appointment October 9
- Closed December 15, 2012 through January 21, 2013 & March 9-17, 2013
- May-July hours: M-F 10-4.
- Closed May 27 & July 4-5, 2013