Learn on Multiple Levels
At Sage, classes are only the beginning of education. Lectures, workshops, conferences, films, and performances connect seamlessly with coursework in all disciplines to create a wraparound learning environment. Russell Sage students don't just read the book, they meet the author. They don't just study a theory, they hear how it works from those who have put it into practice. Sage students have the complete multi-media, three-dimensional educational experience.
- Michael Baden, chief forensic pathologist for investigation of the deaths of John F. Kennedy and Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Sharon Kelly Carpinello, Commissioner, NYS Office of Mental Health
- Hillary Rodham Clinton, (D-NY) New York State Senator
- Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop and champion of social justice, international fair trade, and corporate responsibility
- David Shipler, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Working Poor: Invisible in America; Arab and Jew: Wounded Spirits in a Promised Land and A Country of Strangers: Blacks and Whites in America
- Antonia Novella, New York State Health Commissioner and first woman Surgeon General of the United States
- Erin M. Crottey, Commissioner of the Department of Environmental Conservation
- Martha Ojeda, director of the Coalition for Justice in the Maquiladoras
- Angela Y. Davis, activist, author, and professor
- Dolores Huerta, the co-founder of the United Farm Workers of America, AFL-CIO
- Byllye Avery, the founder of the National Black Women's Health Project
- Lucille Clifton, award-winning poet
- Lysistrata (Part of the 2003 international Lysistrata Project, the first-ever worldwide theatre event for peace)
- The Vagina Monologues
- Nymph Errant (rare revival of a classic musical comedy)
- Handel's Messiah
- The Broadway cast of Les Miserables
Cast members gave an open talk about living in New York City, working in theatre, and engaged in individual sessions with students.
- Foreign Film Series
Featuring classics such as Bunuel's Los Olivados and Truffaut's 400 Blows
- Tibetan Buddhist Monks
Gave a presentation on "The Ancient Art of Healing: The Tibetan Buddhist Way"
- Entrepreneurial Panel
Local women entrepreneurs discussed what it takes to start your own business