Computer Competency Waiver
LIFE Skills General Education
To ensure that all SPCE students have basic Microsoft Office technological skills. The student should be able to:
- operate a microcomputer in a windows environment;
- organize and manage different types of computer files in an electronic storage device;
- prepare a document with a word-processor;
- use an spreadsheet to solve arithmetic problems;
- both store information and retrieve information from a database;
- prepare an electronic presentation;
- read and send email and handle email attachments;
- find and retrieve information from the internet.
Students may demonstrate technology competency and satisfy the general education requirement by:
- successful completion of one of the following courses: ACC 207 Accounting Information Systems, CSI 101 Computer Literacy, CSI 150 Advanced Computer Literacy, BUS 335 Management Information Systems, or LAW 215 Law Office Technologies.
- achieving a grade of 70 percent or higher on the Computer Competency Literacy Assessment exam. Exam Fee: $25.00. This exam is based on MS Office. Upon successful completion of assessment a requirement waiver is granted. No credit is granted. See below for more information.
Technology Requirement Waiver Option - No credits are granted.
The Computer Competency Assessment (test) is offered for students to obtain a requirement waiver of the LIFE Skills/technology general education requirement. The Technology/Computer Literacy Waiver is granted for scores of 70% or above.
The successful completion of the test does not award credits - but will allow students to satisfy or fulfill the general education technology requirement.
The Computer Competency Assessment will involve the testing of fundamental computing skills, including Windows 7/XP, MS Office 2007/2010; Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
The assessment is web-based and offered on a PC in Froman Hall.
- Cost of assessment: $25.00. The fee includes one free re-test session.
- To schedule a testing appointment, please email: Caitlin Frakes, firstname.lastname@example.org.