Commuter Safety Tips
- ALWAYS lock your car and take your keys with you.
- Close windows all the way and make sure your trunk is locked.
- Keep everything of value that you can in your trunk.
- If you can’t leave valuables in the trunk, put them in the glove compartment or make sure they are out of sight.
- An unattended cell phone is virtually guaranteed to be stolen.
- Park in well lit & busy areas. Avoid leaving your vehicle in unattended parking lots for long periods of time
- Don’t leave your registration inside your vehicle, but carry it with you. Important identification and credit cards should never be left in the glove compartment.
- Investigate security systems if you live in a high theft area.
- Purchase car stereos, and CD players that can be removed and locked in your trunk.
Fire Safety for Apartment Dwellers
- Smoke detectors ARE required in every residential occupancy in New York State. For more information, call the Albany Fire Dept. at 447-7879
- DON’T barbeque on your porch or near your apartment! You could be jeopardizing your life, the lives of your apartment mates and your neighbors. In the City of Albany, it’s the LAW that barbequing must take place at least 25 feet from any wood structure and in NO event within 10 feet of ANY structure.
- Keep your porch free of debris, couches, stuffed chairs, trash, mattresses & other combustibles. It will help you avoid a fire, a fine and/or a court appearance.
Carbon Monoxide CAN be a KILLER!
In the City of Albany, landowners are REQUIRED to install Carbon Monoxide detectors in your apartment if:
- Your apartment has forced hot air heat produced by a fossil fuel (gas, oil) burning unit in your basement.
- Your apartment has any fossil fuel burning unit within the apartment itself (heater or hot water tank w/oil or gas). Questions– call the Albany Fire Dept. at 447-7879
It’s better to be safe than sorry!
In your apartment
- Secure and lock your windows in the completely closed position whenever your apartment is or not occupied.
- Always be sure all doors are securely locked and utilize the other safety devices that may be built into your apartment.
- THEY DON’T WORK UNLESS YOU USE THEM!
If your apartment will be unoccupied for an extended period of time:
- Notify a trusted neighbor and ask him/her to watch your apartment.
- Cancel all deliveries, such as newspapers, and have all mail held by the post office.
- DO NOT leave valuables out in the open and remove anything of exceptional value. Close all first floor blinds and curtains.
- Use automatic timers to turn lights on and off.
- If you are moving out or changing apartments, don’t leave valuables unattended while moving.
- Call the Albany Police Dept. at 911 immediately to report all crimes and any suspicious activity.
***You have the right to a safe and secure apartment. Be sure your apartment has a "Residential Occupancy Permit" by asking your landowner to show you this document that verifies the City of Albany has inspected your rental unit. Part of this inspection requires landowners to install specific security devices in your apartment.
If you have questions call the Division of Building & Codes at 434-5995.