The Institutional Review Board
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a committee established by The Sage Colleges (TSC) to protect the rights of human subjects participating in research. IRBs were initially mandated by the Federal Government to review human subject research it funded. NY State requires that all human subject research be reviewed by an IRB. The Sage Colleges' IRB is registered with the Office for Human Research Protection of the Department of Health and Human Services and has received a Federal Wide Assurance (FWA) from the agency. The IRB ensures that participation in a research project is voluntary, that the decision to participate is informed, and that the benefits outweigh the risks. This IRB web site contains the relevant Federal documents (the 45CFR46 and The Belmont Report), the Policy Manual for TSC IRB, the guidelines for applying for a project review, the application form, the informed consent form, a list of current members of the IRB, and the schedule of meetings for the year.
The Sage Colleges IRB requires that all researchers (including students) applying for a project review must demonstrate competency in human subjects research. Among acceptable ones are:
To apply for Project Review, please read The IRB Guidelines and How to Apply for Project Review listed below (before you call or email the IRB chair).
Any questions regarding the IRB may be directed to the chair Dr. Susan C. Cloninger (518-244-2071 or firstname.lastname@example.org) or any other board member.
The mailing address is:
School of Health Sciences, Office of the Dean
65 1st Street
Troy, NY 12180
The Sage Colleges will close on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 and reopen Wednesday, January 2, 2013. During that time, no action will be taken on proposals. From January 2, 2013 until January 21, 2013 the IRB will be functioning on a reduced schedule.
Institutional Review Board Materials & Forms
- Go to and sign on with your Sage ID and password.
- Instructions for Web Submission of IRB Projects
- IRB 2012-2013 Guidelines
- IRB 2012-2013 Application
- IRB 2012-2013 Annual/Final Report Application
- IRB 2012-2013 Informed Consent Form
- IRB 2012-2013 Meetings Schedule
- IRB 2012-2013 Membership
- IRB 2012-2013 Policy Manual
- IRB Belmont Report-pdf
- Code of Federal Regulations 45 CFR 46
- Confidentiality Agreement Sample- This sample is set up as a template. If you click on the bracketed text and then click on the blue bar, all you need to do is type in the appropriate text.