Quick Facts + Frequently Asked Questions

What is the School of Professional and Continuing Education?

Sage has been in Albany since 1949. The School of Professional and Continuing Education is a degree completion program offered through the coeducational Sage College of Albany. Students are admitted with a minimum of 40 credits or an associate degree. The School of Professional and Continuing Education degrees and diplomas are conferred by Sage College of Albany, Albany, NY. The School of Professional and Continuing Education is an especially attractive choice for highly motivated students who work full-time week days while completing their education in evening, on-line and weekend classes.

What programs are offered through the School of Professional and Continuing Education?

The School of Professional and Continuing Education offers bachelor's degrees in Accounting, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, Interdisciplinary Studies, Liberal Studies, Nursing for RNs, Pre-Medical Studies, and Psychology. The Professional School also offers start-to-finish bachelor’s degrees in select professional areas such as Public Health, and offers a specialized bachelor’s program called the Achieve Degree for adults with high-functioning autism.

View a full program listing »

How do I apply?

  • Apply online or request a paper application, (518) 292-8615. No fee.
  • Call (518) 292-8615 to schedule a consultation with an admission counselor. Bring your official college transcript(s) in an original, unopened/sealed envelope. Fill out an application on the spot to receive an application fee waiver!

What are the admission requirements?

Students come to SPCE with a minimum of 40 completed college credits applicable toward a Sage degree and a GPA of 2.20 or higher. Students are admitted to Sage after an evaluation of their application and relevant transfer credits.

How many of my credits will transfer?

You can transfer up to 66 credits from an accredited two-year institution and up to 90 credits from an accredited four-year institution (for a maximum total of 90 credits). For credits earned through traditional classroom work, evaluation is on a course-by-course basis for all work in which grades of C- or above have been earned. Transfer credit is carefully evaluated and brought in based on the student's declared major upon admission. Sage brings in only the transfer credits that will meet a specific major or degree requirement. For students starting a new major or career direction, they may find that not all of their previous college credits are accepted.

I have had a lot of on-the-job training. Can I get credit for my experience?

The Credit for Prior Learning program gives highly qualified students college credit if they can document relevant life and college level learning experience. Interested students must complete a portfolio as part of the assessment process (fees apply). A highly motivated student may earn as many as 30 credits for life experience. This is a highly individualized and selective process. Credit will be given where it is due, but the bar is high. Individual portfolio review sessions run throughout the year.

What should I do if I apply close to the beginning of the semester?

Our admission, financial aid and advising officers will work with you on an individual basis. We encourage you to apply as early as possible so you can receive the maximum financial aid possible and not be closed out of required courses. In order for you to be considered for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), you need to register before the beginning of the semester.

Do I need to apply to take courses?

Exploring our course offerings is highly encouraged. You may take up to nine credits without being a matriculated student. After completing 9 credits, you must apply for admission (matriculation, i.e., degree seeking student) or declare Visiting Student status.

What will it cost me to complete my degree?

For the most up-to-date tuition costs per credit, please visit the The School of Professional and Continuing Education Cost & Aid page. Tuition is calculated at the per credit hour rate. Tuition costs per term is based on the number of credits you are enrolled in.

Is financial aid available?

Yes. However, most students' financial aid consists of student loans. To qualify for additional state and federal aid as a full-time student, you must register for at least 12 semester hours at the beginning of the term. In order for you to be considered for the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), you need to register before the beginning of the semester. Students are eligible for part-time aid if they enroll up for at least 6 credits within a semester. Contact the Financial Aid Office at (518) 292-1781 or visit the The School of Professional and Continuing Education Cost & Aid page.

What will my financial aid package consists of?

Once you have been accepted to Sage and have filled out and filed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Office of Financial Aid will prepare your aid package and mail it to your home. You can file the FAFSA online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ or call (518) 292-1781 to request a paper form.

Do you have employer tuition assistance programs?

Sage accepts and offers tuition assistance to nearly 100 companies and non-profit organizations in the Capital Region. Many organizations participate in the Corporate Reimbursement and Health Alliance Systems Discount Program. Learn more and see if your employer is involved »

If you would like your employer to become a member of Sage's Corporate Reimbursement or Health Alliance Systems Discount Program, please contact 292-8615.

Who will my professors be?

Sage faculty members are full-time professors and practicing professionals in the Capital Region who are regarded as experts in their field. We will be happy to arrange a convenient time for you to meet with a member of The Sage Colleges faculty.