In the case of a gas leak, follow these basic guidelines:
- For safety reasons, many dangerous gases have been treated to smell when present in the air.
- If you smell a gas and suspect a leak, cease all operations.
- Call Public Safety at 3177.
- Do not switch on lights or electrical equipment, and do not activate a fire alarm. Resulting sparks may cause an explosion.
- Evacuate the building by the closest exit, and notify other building occupants to do so.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS. DO NOT PANIC.
- Once outside, move to a clear area at least 500 feet from the fire building. Do not block access or operations of emergency vehicles and personnel.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless authorized to do so by Public Safety.