Definition: A Missing Person is defined as a person who has disappeared without explanation.
Purpose: To provide an effective and efficient process for investigating the disappearance of a student or employee from campus, or of a resident student from a college owned residence hall; to provide an effective and efficient process for assisting law enforcement agencies who are investigating a student or employee who has been reported missing from an off-campus location.
The Sage Colleges will:
- Inform each resident student that such student has the option to identify an individual to be contacted by the institution not later than 24 hours after the time a student is determined missing.
- Provide each such student a means to register confidential contact information in the event that the student is determined to be missing for a period of more than 24 hours.
- Advise each such student who is under 18 years of age, and not an emancipated individual, that the institution is required to notify a custodial parent or guardian not later than 24 hours after the time the student is determined to be missing.
- Inform each such student that the institution will notify the appropriate law enforcement agency not later than 24 hours after the time that the student is reported missing.
- Establish official notification procedures for a missing person who resides in on-campus housing that:
- includes procedures for official notification of appropriate individuals at the institution that such student has been missing for more than 24 hours
- requires any official missing person report relating to such student be referred immediately to the institution’s police or campus security department
- and if, on investigation of the official report, such department determines that the missing student has been missing for more than 24 hours, requires such department to contact the individual identified by such student
- if such student is under 18 years of age, and not an emancipated individual, the institution to immediately contact the custodial parent or legal guardian of such student.