Prevent fires from occurring.
- Remove combustibles
- Avoid sources of ignition
- Don’t overload electrical outlets
- Don’t use extension cords
- Cook only where permitted and never leave cooking unattended
Keep fire safety systems in good working order.
- Report emergency lighting and exit signs that are not working, and fire extinguishers that are missing
- Do not tamper with fire detection, warning or suppression systems
- Smoke detectors, heat detectors, pull stations, fire alarm, sprinkler heads, fire extinguishers
Plan your escape.
- Know several routes out of your building
- In the event of a fire alarm, leave the building quickly but safely
- Participate in fire drills
- Do not use elevators
- Feel doors for heat before opening; if hot, use another route
If you discover a fire:
- Sound the alarm
- Call 911 or Public Safety at 244-3177
- Use a fire extinguisher if trained and you can do so safely