Counseling and Community Psychology
This 60-credit program develops knowledge and skills needed by mental health counselors. The program has been registered with the New York State Education Department as meeting the educational qualifications leading to licensure as a Mental Health Counselor in New York State. Students learn how to provide evaluation, assessment, treatment & consultation services in community agencies serving adults, children and families.
Students enrolled in the Counseling and Community Psychology Masters Program may elect to pursue a Certificate in Forensic Mental Health. This degree may also be combined with a Gerontology Certificate administered through the Nursing Department (contact the Nursing Department for further information).
In addition to the general admission requirements for Sage Graduate School, applicants must:
- have a minimum undergraduate GPA 3.0 for regular admission to the program.
- have completed undergraduate courses in Social Science Statistics and History & Systems of Psychology (not required for undergraduate psychology majors)
- have taken at least three additional undergraduate courses in Behavioral Sciences (for non-psychology majors)
- schedule an interview with the Graduate Program Director, following submission of all application materials.
Students are accepted for the Summer and Fall semesters. Priority deadline for Summer or Fall admission is March 15. Final deadline for summer admission is May 1; final deadline for fall admission is June 1.
- Completion of all required and elective courses (60 credit hours).
- Completion of a 3 credit hour externship and a 6 credit hour counseling internship. All placements are after the completion of 45 credit hours.
- Completion of a thesis (3-6 credit hours) or research seminar (3 credit hours).
The M.A. in Counseling and Community Psychology and the M.A. in Community Psychology programs are accredited by the Master's in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) for the period August 2010 through August 2020.