Middle States is Sage’s institutional accrediting organization. Full accreditation reviews occur every 8 years with a periodic review 4 years into the cycle. Sage is preparing for the next reaccreditation visit in Spring 2021.
The MSCHE Defined
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education is a voluntary, non-governmental, regional membership association currently serving higher education institutions in Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, and other geographic areas in which the Commission conducts accrediting activities.
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education assures students and the public of the educational quality of higher education. The Commission’s accreditation process ensures institutional accountability, self-appraisal, improvement, and innovation through peer review and the rigorous application of standards within the context of institutional mission. (https://www.msche.org/about-us/mission/)
Intended Outcomes of the Russell Sage College Self-Study
- We will demonstrate that Sage meets the MSCHE accreditation standards through a self-study grounded in evidence, marked by analysis of the evidence, and tempered by reflection on how we might most effectively learn from our conclusions to foster continuous improvement.
- We will engage in an inclusive and transparent self-appraisal process that actively and deliberately seeks to involve members from all areas of the Sage community to reflect on the status of current institutional priorities outlined in the strategic plan.
- We will capitalize on intersection of the new Strategic Plan and the self-study to advance our strategic priorities, identify gaps in the College’s readiness to implement such priorities, and recommend opportunities to achieve institutional mission and goals.
- We will further embed educational effectiveness and overall assessment into the institution’s culture and continue to link assessment with planning and improvements in student learning and achievement.
The makeup of the Steering Committee is as follows:
- Rick Barthelmas, Vice President for Finance and Administration
- Dr. Kim Fredericks, Dean School of Management
- Dr. Bobbi Gabrenya, Chair of Faculty, Interdisciplinary Studies
- Dr. Theresa Hand, Provost, ALO, Chair of the Steering Committee
- Dr. Deb Lawrence, Undergraduate Dean
- Sharon Murray, AVP for Student Life/ Dean of Students, Albany
- Dr. Pat O’Connor, Chair and Professor of Psychology
- Lori Pizer, Director of Institutional Research
- Kelley Robinson, Director of Financial Aid
- Kirk Robinson, Director of Institutional Effectiveness
- Dr. Frank Vozzo, Chair of the Faculty 2016-19, Chemistry and Biochemistry
|Self- Study Process||Timeline|
|Steering Committee formed & working groups charged||January – May, 2018|
|Middle States Liaison Visit||April, 2019|
|Self-Study Design Submitted||June, 2019|
|Second Draft shared with community members||May – September, 2020|
|Submission of final Self-Study report to MSCHE||Spring 2021|
|Self-Study Site Visit||Spring 2021|