M.S.Ed. in Literacy Education (Birth-Grade 6 or Grades 5-12)
The Master of Science in Education degree in Literacy Education at the Esteves School of Education is designed for candidates who possess or meet the requirements for New York State provisional or initial certification and who seek professional certification in literacy and a master’s degree.
The Literacy Education Program at Sage recognizes that literacy is a multi-faceted tool which enriches learning about the world and yourself. Our program prepares master’s level teachers to become literacy specialists. Our courses draw on the new literacies lens to integrate technology into innovative and traditional learning activities. We promote practices that emphasize evidence-based teaching, diversity and inclusion, and teacher reflection. We believe that such learning happens in clinically rich contexts and thus many of our courses include a fieldwork component and all our practicum courses are offered at local public/charter schools through professional development partnership relationships and afterschool programs. Our program faculty members understand the importance of keeping up with the changes in state mandates and assessment measures within our public schools today and we strive to prepare teachers who are well immersed in changes such as the Common Core Standards and how it affects the teaching and learning of reading, writing, listening, and speaking in the classroom.
Programs of Study
All matriculated students complete a signed program of study. Any change in stated coursework must receive written approval of the assigned faculty advisor.
Applicants for admission to the program must meet the general admission requirements for Sage Graduate School and must also meet the following specific requirements:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Applicants should have Initial Certification through the NYS Office of Teaching Initiatives highered.nysed.gov/tcert/ If accepted provisionally into the program without Initial Certification, certification must be received before 12 credits are completed or the candidate will be unable to continue until such time as certification is received.
- Provide scores from one of the following:
- MAT* (Miller Analogies Test)
- GRE** (Graduate Record Exam)
- or equivalent
*MAT Minimum Score – 350: **GRE Minimum Score – Verbal Reasoning-145, Quantitative Reasoning-145, Analytical Writing-3.5
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- One letter of recommendation
- A 1-2 page career goals essay
- Provide scores from one of the following: GRE (Graduate Record Exam), MAT (Miller Analogies Test), edTPA, CST or equivalent
Exemption – Pursuant to the law, each program is entitled to exempt a student from these admission requirements based on the exempted student’s demonstrated potential to positively contribute to the teaching profession.