B.S. in Physical Education
The Physical Education Teacher Education (PETE) program is part of the Professional Education Programs (PEP) at the Esteves School of Education.
Are you interested in developing the next generation of physically active individuals and athletes? The Sage Colleges program in physical education focuses on providing you with the tools necessary to enjoy a career teaching and coaching. This program provides you a pathway to obtaining New York State initial certification in K – 12 Physical Education.
- How to effectively instruct and assess in K – 12 Physical Education
- A range of lifetime and individual physical activities and sports.
- Best practices in coaching for modified, freshman, junior varsity, and varsity level sports.
- A focus on inclusive standards-based instruction
What makes Sage the place for Physical Education?
- Small classes – you’re not just a number to us!
- Early field experiences and student-teaching placements throughout Section II (NYSPHSAA).
- Building your personal network with top school district administrators, coaches, and physical educators in New York State.
- Adapted physical education teaching methods taught by a Board Certified behaviorist.
- Cost could be equivalent to that of the SUNY school system
Graduates can pursue . . .
- The Sage Colleges’ $+1 program in M.S. School Health Education
- Working in K – 12 public, private, & charter schools as physical educators, coaches, and teacher assistants
- Adapted physical education
- Coaching with private club teams
- Private health and wellness companies
Don’t take our word for it! Here’s what current students and graduates say about their time at Sage in Physical Education
Alex Lilac ’17
Hoosick Falls, New York
Men’s Basketball, Co-captain ‘17
I came to Sage hoping to find a school. What I found instead was a home. The campus, athletics, faculty, and students create a unique and special environment. I consider the people in the Physical Education Department to be lifelong mentors. Not only did they shape me into the best student-athlete I could become, but they also prepared me to thrive in today’s ever-changing society. I would encourage any prospective student to consider Sage for the bevy of opportunities and countless relationships you are sure to find here.
Kim Craft ’17
I initially chose Sage for its proximity to my hometown, but soon realized that Sage was much more than just a location. The physical education department has had a tremendous impact on my life, my future, and me. The opportunities and experiences provided to me have truly expanded my knowledge base as a physical educator but also as a maturing young adult. For example, the Sarah’s Sisters program which provided me a first hand opportunity to teach students who have developmental and physical disabilities in physical education while becoming a mentor to these students as well.
Moreover, the most important aspect of Sage is the professors that have given life to the physical education department and my invaluable experience. I have never met more knowledgeable or compassionate professors. They continuously pushed me to be the best possible teacher candidate I could be and always had my best interest at heart. Having this “family” type atmosphere during some of the most challenging years of my life has been truly amazing. If I could relive these past four years at Sage, I would do so without hesitation or reservation!
Olivia Tooley, ‘15
My experience in the PE program at Sage was incredible. I always enjoyed attending classes as the teachers kept them interactive, innovative, and collaborative. The professors in the PE program were more than helpful and supportive. They made each class enjoyable yet productive; leaving you with the gratifying feeling of knowing you learned something new each day. It was evident that they took pride in Sage’s Physical Education program, but more importantly, they took great pride in their students. The set-up of the program coupled with the tremendous professors made me ready for my career. I am now a full-time PE teacher and coach two varsity sports at Utica Notre Dame! Sage is the reason I am prepared, motivated, and eager to continue my educational experience.