If you are interested in biology and would like to pursue a career in a biology-related or health-related field, we offer programs that prepare students with a broad foundation in Biology with options for coursework specific to your goals. Students can receive assured acceptance / early admittance into graduate programs, including Albany Medical College’s PA program, the Sage Graduate School’s PT / OT programs (including accelerated programs), and Albany College of Pharmacy’s Clinical Lab Sciences / Cytotechnology programs, among others (see below).
The Bachelor of Science degree in Biology gives you a strong base in biological study, paired with a concentration that fits your specific interests, including preparation for medical careers, for graduate schools in biology-related fields, biology-related jobs, and careers in other disciplines that also involve biology. As a Biology student, you will complete a core of biology and science support courses, along with an internship experience and a concentration of your choosing. Opportunities for concentrations include:
- Preparation for Medical Studies (including for programs in medicine, physician assistant, dentistry, and veterinary medicine). We have articulations with the Albany Medical College’s Physician Assistant program leading to an MS in Physician Assistant studies, through early acceptance for qualified first-year Biology majors, or early admissions assurance for qualified junior Biology majors.
- Law and Society
- Management (assured acceptance into our MBA program, see catalog for requirements)
- Nutrition Science (assured acceptance into M.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics, see catalog)
- Pre-professional Clinical Lab Science (assured acceptance into Albany College of Pharmacy Clinical Lab,) and Cytotechnology (assured acceptance into Albany College of Pharmacy Cytotechnology Program, see catalog)
- Public Health (assured acceptance into our MS Health Services Administration, see catalog)
- Additional tracks in Environmental Science, Forensic Biology, Illustration, and Science Writing
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology at The Sage Colleges gives you a broad overview of knowledge and scientific techniques in modern biology. With its flexible curriculum, you and your advisor can prepare you to pursue careers in teaching, in environmental studies, in government agencies requiring a background in biology, and in private industry. More importantly you are prepared to become a life-long learner.
Students can elect to complete an independent research project or internship.
- Physical or occupational therapy: If you are interested in pursuing graduate work in physical therapy or occupational therapy, you can complete a degree in Biology (B.A.) along with some additional coursework required for admission into our graduate programs in Physical Therapy (accelerated 3+3 or 4+3 Bachelor’s / DPT) or Occupational Therapy (accelerated 3+2 or 4+2 Bachelor’s / MS in OT).