If you are interested in biology and in pursuing a career in a biology-related or health-related field, we offer two programs in Biology that help prepare students with a broad foundation and options for coursework specific to your goals.
The Bachelor of Science degree in Biology gives you a strong base in biological study, paired with a concentration that fits your specific interests, including preparation for medical careers, for graduate schools in biology-related fields, biology-related jobs, and careers in other disciplines that also involve biology. As a Biology student, you will complete a core of biology and science support courses, along with an internship experience and a concentration of your choosing. Opportunities for concentrations include:
- Environmental Science
- Forensic Biology
- Law and Society
- Management (assured acceptance into our MBA program, see catalog for requirements)
- Nutrition Science (assured acceptance into M.S. in Nutrition and Dietetics, see catalog)
- Preparation for Medical Studies
We have articulations with the Albany Medical College’s Physician Assistant program leading to an MS in Physician Assistant studies. There are two possibilities: Early acceptance for qualified first-year Biology majors, and early admissions assurance for qualified junior Biology majors.
- Pre-professional Clinical Lab Science (assured acceptance into Albany College of Pharmacy Clinical Lab, see catalog)
- Pre-professional Cytotechnology (assured acceptance into Albany College of Pharmacy Cytotechnology Program, see catalog)
- Public Health (assured acceptance into our MS Health Services Administration, see catalog)
- Science Writing
The Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology at The Sage Colleges gives you a broad overview of knowledge and scientific techniques in modern biology. With its flexible curriculum, you and your advisor can prepare you to pursue careers in teaching, in environmental studies, in government agencies requiring a background in biology, and in private industry. More importantly you are prepared to become a life-long learner.
Students can elect to complete an independent research project or internship.
If you are interested in pursuing graduate work in physical therapy or occupational therapy, you can complete a degree in Biology (B.A.) along with some additional required coursework for admission into our graduate programs in Physical Therapy (3+3 or 4+3 Bachelor’s / DPT) or Occupational Therapy (3+2 or 4+2 Bachelor’s / MS in OT).