Professor, Chemistry and Biochemistry
Director, INVEST (Incubator for New Ventures in Emerging Sciences and Technologies)
Science Hall 307, Troy
Dr. Keane has been a member of The Sage Colleges Faculty since 1996.
Ph.D., M.S., Chemistry (Physical / Analytical) Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
B.A., Chemistry and Biochemistry, Hunter College (CUNY).
- Introduction to General Chemistry,
Introduction to Organic and Biochemistry; with lab (CHM 103/104)
- Biochemistry I & II (CHM 303/304)
- Physical Chemistry I & II, with lab (CHM 305/306)
- Instrumental Analysis (CHM 302)
- Introduction to Forensic Science (CHM 340)
- Earth Science & Astronomy (SCI 104)
- Topics: From Forensic Science to Life in the Universe (SCI 238)
Current Departmental Responsibilities
Current Research Interests
Integration of nanoscience learning experiences into the undergraduate curriculum (supported by NSF-CCLI grant).
Photochemistry and reaction kinetics of organic molecules in planetary atmospheres.
Chemical evolution and the origins of life (exobiology).
Astrochemistry: working with Dr. Preethi Prattap and the MIT group using the Haystack-MIT 37 meter radio telescope for a survey of protostellar regions (i.e. currently HH212) for methanol maser activity.
Planetary atmospheric photochemistry.
Pharmaceutical analytical chemistry- method development, validation and quality control.
Molecular diagnostics- acquired drug resistance in cancer chemotherapy.
Reproductive immunology- development of diagnostic assays.
Liaison for Pfizer/Independent College Fund of New York Annual Faculty Lectureship.
Liaison to Evident Technologies, INVEST nanotechnology incubator project.
The Sage Colleges Faculty Affairs Committee.
- Presidential Vision Grant (2004)
- Robb Science Fellow, The Sage Colleges (2002-03)
- NASA-GSRP Fellow, RPI (1990-93)
- Sigma Xi
- Hunter College – Summa Cum Laude
- American Astronomical Society – Division of Planetary Science
- International Society for the Study of the Origins of Life
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Chemical Society
Music, art, hiking and camping, amateur astronomy.
Links to Dr. Keane’s selected Web sites:
Astrochemistry and Exobiology:
- Astrochemistry at the Goddard Space Flight Center
- NASA’s Ames Exobiology Website
- The Astrobiology Web
- MIT Haystack Observatory