Russell Sage College is recognized as one of the premiere women’s colleges in the country, distinctive for its reality-based education. Future-looking in its curriculum, Russell Sage graduates world-ready young women who are confident, articulate, and success-oriented.
Faithful to its original mission to prepare women to take their place in the world’s work, Russell Sage interprets that mission for the 21st century creating a living/learning community dedicated to the personal and intellectual growth of Women of Influence.
Based on a solid foundation of liberal arts and science with many opportunities for interdisciplinary studies, a Russell Sage College education embraces the following Women of Influence Learning Goals and Russell Sage Values.
Women of Influence Learning Goals
- The Communicative Arts, including Writing, Listening, Observing, Speaking, and Presentation
- Critical Analysis, Integrative Learning, and Research
- Scientific and Quantitative Reasoning
- Global, National, and Local Citizenship; Ethical Engagement
- Intercultural Knowledge and Competence
- Leadership, Teamwork, and Problem-Solving
- Creative and Imaginative Thinking
Russell Sage Values
- Attention to the individual student’s growth
- Strong, practical liberal arts & sciences foundation
- Rigorous standards of achievement
- Collaboration, teamwork, and leadership
- Personal and social responsibility
- Respect for, and engagement with, diverse peoples and perspectives
- Active involvement in the community
Russell Sage College General Education: WORLD Sequence
As a Russell Sage College student, you will have the unique experience of participating in the WORLD (Women Owning Responsibility for Learning and Doing) sequence consisting of three required general education courses.
What is WORLD?
WORLD focuses on the experiences of women as learners and doers in a multicultural society. Co-curricular activities such as undergraduate research, internships, and service learning provide students with engaging opportunities to further enhance their education. WORLD consists of three courses; two of which are taken during a student’s first year at Sage followed by a service learning capstone course taken during a student’s third or fourth year. As a co-requisite to WLD 101 and WLD 201, students are enrolled in the WORLD Series, cultural presentations intending to increase intercultural knowledge and competence.
The WORLD sequence, combined with other general education courses that meet three or more of the Women of Influence Learning Goals and coursework in the student’s major, are designed to work together to produce a Woman of Influence ready to lead, succeed, and continue to learn.
First Year WORLD Program
- WLD 101: Reading Women’s Voices and Developing Our Own (Fall)
- WLD 201: Researching Girls’ and Women’s Lives Across the Curriculum (Spring)
Third or Fourth Year WORLD Program (Capstone)
- WLD 401: Women Changing the World