Upcoming DI Information Sessions
All prospective interns are strongly encouraged to either attend an Information Session or arrange a phone/virtual meeting with the DI Director.
Virtual Information Session: Friday, November 9th 12:00 to 1:30 pm EST
In-person Information Session: Friday, November 9th 2:00 to 4:00 pm on the Troy Campus – Shea Library – room 201
If you are interested in attending an Information Session please contact Laurel Petersen, Office Coordinator, at [email protected].
The Graduate Certificate Dietetic Internship program at The School of Health Sciences at The Sage Colleges prepares entry-level dietitian nutritionists who are committed to lifelong learning and leadership within the profession.
Students are exposed to the diversity of dietetic practice through multiple planned experiences. Drawing upon a variety of resources and professionals, students will work with registered dietitians and other healthcare professionals in a variety of settings.
The program requires that students collectively complete three practicum classes and two graduate coursework classes, totaling 24 credits. Students may choose to apply this graduate coursework to the following graduate degree programs at The Sage Colleges: Applied Nutrition or Health Services Administration .
The combination of practicum experiences and academic enrichment will position the graduate for a variety of career choices as well as provide the beginning of their graduate education.
The program is available through three tracks:
For more information on the specific courses involved in the Dietetic Internship Certificate visit the catalog page.
Calendar for 2019-2020
- Pre-orientation (virtual): June or July 2019
- Mandatory Orientation in Troy, NY: August 20-22
- Practicum & fall semester begins: August 26
- Practicum I: August 26-November 11 (Labor Day off)
- Practicum II: December 2-February 24, 2020*
- *Off week of December 23 and for January 1st holiday
- Spring semester begins: January 14
- Practicum III: March 16-June 5
- Exit week: June 8-12
Please note that advising, presentations and class days will be held between practicums.
The Sage Graduate Schools Dietetic Internship:
- specializes in preparing future dietitians in clinical, food service management, and community nutrition
- offers a group of top-rated faculty active in all areas of the field
- collaborates with specialized dietitians and other area professionals to bring their wide range of expertise to the program
- provides each intern with individual attention and support
- offers five graduate courses that may be applied to a master’s degree in either Applied Nutrition or Health Services Administration
This program is only for students who have successfully completed at least a baccalaureate degree and minimum academic requirements established by The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics – a didactic program in dietetics (DPD). Successful graduates of the program are eligible to take the registration examination for dietitians.
Dietetic Internship Affiliate Institutions and Placements
A variety of facilities in and around the Capital District, as well as Poughkeepsie and the Hudson Valley have agreements with the SGS DI to host dietetic interns. The DI Director and Coordinator arranges placement for and schedules interns at facilities based on their prior type and level of work experience, preferences and geographic location. Please note that distance interns are required to set up their own practicum placements.
Applicants who apply for placement in the Hudson Valley or Plattsburgh are primarily placed at facilities in those locations with the expectation that they are/will be living in the geographic area while completing the DI and commute to the Troy campus for orientation, presentations, special activities and some supervised practice rotations.
Selected Onsite Placement Locations (New York State):
- Capital District (Albany, Schenectady & Troy)
- Saratoga Springs
- Hudson Valley (Hudson, Ghent, Kingston & Poughkeepsie)
- Other locations as negotiated with the DI Director
Registration Examination Pass Rates
|Onsite Program||One Year Pass Rate %|
|Distance Program||One Year Pass Rate %|
The Dietetic Internship Certificate Program is subject to Gainful Employment Regulations.
The Dietetic Internship at Sage Graduate School is currently granted accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. ACEND is the only accrediting agency for dietetics education recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDE). The address and telephone number of ACEND are: 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL. 60606-6995, 312-899-4876.
The Sage Colleges is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and is chartered by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York.