Do you have extensive learning and professional competence acquired outside the academic setting? If yes, check out our Waiver for Practical Experience.
Prior Learning Assessment of Professional Competence to Waive Practicum Course Requirements
The Sage Dietetic Internship recognizes that not learning occurs in the structured academic classroom. Rather, significant learning occurs through work responsibilities, community services activities, employer or armed service training, and disciplined programs of self education. Additionally, The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND) no longer requires the Dietetic Internship (DI) be the sole source of experiential learning to qualify for the registered dietitian examination. The AND now allows programs the flexibility to modify supervised experiences for individuals with extensive learning and professional competence acquired outside the academic setting.
The Sage DI has determined an effective process to assess and validate professional competence, which fits meaningfully into our program requirements. The Sage DI Assessment of Professional Competence process provides limited waivers for supervised practical experience, recognizing applicable learning achievements of students.
The Sage Graduate Schools Dietetic Internship (SGS DI) program participates in the “Assessment of Prior Learning” recognized by The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). Dietetic interns may apply for credit towards supervised practice hours gained from a paid fulltime position of at least six months after successful completion of a ACEND-accredited didactic program in dietetics (DPD).
- Interns are required to complete a minimum of 1200 supervised practicum hours
- Hours must meet the defined ACEND learning outcomes and competencies
- All tuition and fees for the SGS DI will remain the same regardless of prior learning credit awarded.
- Graduation date will not change regardless of prior learning credit awarded
- Intern must complete all associated graduate courses, regardless of prior learning credits awarded
- No prior learning credit will be awarded towards the Clinical Practicum Supervised Practice Hours
- Students requesting Assessment of Prior Learning must pay a $50 evaluation fee
- Intern will contact the Program Director by phone or email after acceptance into the SGS DI to request an assessment of prior learning. If request is verbally approved, intern will submit “Prior Learning Portfolio” by June 1.
- Program Director will provide the intern with the ACEND Learning Objectives and Competencies Table .
- Interns applying for credit towards supervised practice hours must submit a complete “Prior Learning Portfolio,” by mail to the DI Director by June 1.
Michelle Morgan, MS, RDN
Nutrition Science Department
The Sage Colleges
65 First Street
Troy, NY 12180-4199
The Prior Learning Portfolio must include the following:
- Completed ACEND Learning Objectives and Competencies Table .
- Documentation to support that each competency was met (i.e. job description, performance review, samples of projects, reports, presentations, and professional practice that demonstrates advance knowledge and skill in dietetics, etc.).
- Letter from immediate supervisor verifying experience.
- $50 Evaluation Fee (checks should be made out to: The Sage Colleges).
Eligibility and Criteria for Candidates
To ensure that a student meets all of The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ prerequisites, the student must first complete the Sage Dietetic Internship Application. Students who meet these criteria and have sufficient additional learning experiences may request a waiver for either the Food Service Management or Community Nutrition portion of the practical experiences required by the DI.
The DI Director will review the prior learning application process with interested prospective and incoming interns. Please contact the DI Director to schedule an appointment to review the process.