Important Note: Must be reviewed by all out-of-state residents.
State and federal law requires colleges and universities to be authorized to offer online degree programs in states other than their own.
To help oversee the delivery of post secondary distance education, The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) has established comparable national standards for interstate offering of distance-education courses and programs. The NC-SARA is intended to make it easier for students to take online courses offered by postsecondary institutions based in another state. New York State participates in SARA and The Sage Colleges is an approved SARA institution. This approval allows The Sage Colleges to accept students and deliver online education to students who reside in other NC-SARA participating States.
For States not participating in NC-SARA:
The following States are not currently participating in NC-SARA: California, Florida, and Massachusetts. How does this impact enrolling in a SAGE distance learning degree program if the student resides in one of these states?
- California – Sage is able to accept students but this may be subject to change as Florida Introduces new legislation regarding distance learning.*
- Florida – Sage is able to accept students but this may be subject to change as Florida Introduces new legislation regarding distance learning.*
- Massachusetts – Sage is able to accept students but this may be subject to change as Massachusetts introduces new legislation regarding distance learning.*
*Please note: It is possible that Sage will ultimately choose not to seek approval in a non-NC-SARA State due to the cost of registering. In that case, Sage would not be able to accept students from those states.
The Sage Colleges is dedicated to providing the best possible student experience throughout your college years. When an issue is brought to our attention, Sage will intervene in the matter to seek resolution. Most complaints can be resolved utilizing the internal processes available.
The Sage Colleges Student Complaint Reporting Policy
Complaint Process Non-SARA state:
Please see the below under the state name for compliant information if you reside in California, Florida, or Massachusetts.
Status: SAGE is not required to seek approval from the Bureau for Private Post secondary Education and can offer 100% online programs to residents of California with no restrictions. * New legislation as of July 1, 2017 requires Sage to apply for CA approval. Internships, externships, and clinical placements are permitted in CA for online and campus-based courses and programs.
Status: SAGE is not required to seek authorization from the Commission for Independent Education and can offer 100% online programs to residents of Florida.
Internships, field experiences, and clinical placements may be restricted in certain circumstances. Please check with the program director for information about courses in campus–based programs with out-of-state educational opportunities.
Student Complaint Process Contact:
Florida Department of Education
Turlington Building, Suite 1514
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Complaint Form and Procedure
Status: SAGE is not required to seek approval from the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education and can offer 100% online programs to residents of Massachusetts.
Internships, externships, and clinical placements are permitted in MA for online and campus-based courses and programs.
Student Complaint Process Contact:
Massachusetts Board of Higher Education
One Ashburton Place
Boston, MA 02108
Resources for military students, veterans, and their dependents
- Military Students using TA benefits and Military Dependents using MyCAA may contact the Military OneSource Postsecondary Education Complaint System
- Montgomery or Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients may contact the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Federal financial aid (e.g. Pell Grant) recipients may contact the Department of Education: [email protected]
- Private student loan recipients may contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
For Online or distance-education students, the state agency depends on the student’s state of residence.
Directory of State Authorization Agencies and Lead Contacts