State, Federal & College Policies - Section 1

Academic Policies

For a complete listing of academic policies and graduation requirements, please consult the appropriate college Catalog.

Resolution of Academic Issues

In the event that a student has a complaint involving a faculty member or wishes to question a grade, the student should follow the procedures listed below:

1. Meet with the instructor involved. In the best interests of both parties, resolution ideally should be reached at this stage.

2. Meet with the instructors department chairperson or program coordinator, if resolution is not reached between the student and instructor.

3. Meet with the Dean of the College, only in the event that the student feels procedures were not followed.

4. The Provost is the final decision-making authority.

The Spirit of Learning

Statement on Appropriate Conduct on Campus

All members of The Sage Colleges community are expected to conduct themselves in a way which respects the learning environment. Thus, Sage has the right to remove any student from a classroom, other academic area, or program, at any time if the students behavior is contrary to the spirit of learning or hinders the operation of the program in any way. Violent, disruptive, harassing, or intimidating behavior is not tolerated in the classroom or any other place on campus. Students whose conduct disrupts a class or other learning environment may be required to leave the premises immediately and be subjected to disciplinary and/or legal action.

Degree-Seeking Status (Matriculation)

A student with degree-seeking status (who is matriculated) might be eligible for financial aid, is able to pursue a course of study and will be assigned an academic advisor. Students who are uncertain of their major will be matriculated as undeclared majors and will be assigned advisors who specialize in academic and career counseling.

Semester Course Load

Full-time student 12 or more credits per semester
Part-time student fewer than 12 credits per semester

The usual full-time semester load is 15-16 credits. Additional tuition is charged for credits above 18 per fall or spring term. Consult the section on Tuition and Fees for more information. Students on academic probation may not enroll for more than four courses (usually 12 credits) per term. Note: Non-credit developmental courses are considered equivalent to credit-bearing courses for the purpose of tuition calculation and financial aid eligibility.

Advisement Note:  A student who wishes to carry more than 5 courses per semester must have a 2.8 cumulative grade point average and receive permission of his/her faculty advisor and program coordinator. Students of proven ability, as well as seniors in their last semester, may enroll for more than 18 credits only with the permission of the Dean of the College.

Visiting Student Status (Non Matriculation)Visiting students are those who do not intend to earn a certificate or degree from Sage. They are not eligible for financial aid and are not assigned an academic advisor. Credits accumulated as a visiting student do not necessarily count toward a certificate or degree program. Students must meet and show proof that course prerequisites have been met. Enrollment in certain courses (i.e., Art studios) requires permission of the chair of the department. Non-matriculated students who have previously attempted or completed Sage credits and who have earned below a 2.00 GPA, must have permission of the Academic Dean to register.

Student Identification Numbers

The Sage Colleges assign a unique seven-digit student identification number to each student. This number can be found on your class schedule, statement of student account, Financial Aid award letter and ID Card. It is important to know your ID number and to keep it confidential. To ensure the privacy of your academic, financial and personal information, the College will not release any information unless the student identification number is referenced.

Identification Cards

All Sage students and employees must obtain an identification card. They are required to access a variety of college services and resources and they enable the college to identify persons on campus. They are available in the Public Safety Office in Troy at any time and in Albany at the Kahl Campus Center, Room 145, Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm.Students should carry their ID cards at all times while on campus, and must display it to any college official upon demand. Replacement cards for those lost or damaged are available for a fee of $15.

Address and/or Name Change

Students changing their addresses and/or names by marriage or other legal means should contact the Student Services Office in Cowee Hall (Troy) or Administration Building (Albany) or go to the Student Services web page at

Withdrawal from the College

Students who wish to withdraw from the College should initiate the process by contacting the Student Life Office, Kahl Campus Center Room 145, 518-292-1753. At this time, the official withdrawal form will be processed and students will participate in an exit interview. Students should follow this procedure whether they are withdrawing in order to transfer to another college or for other personal reasons, and whether the withdrawal is occurring during the semester or between semesters. Withdrawal from the College does not release students from financial obligations incurred during the period of their attendance.

Leave of Absence

Students who need to suspend their studies for a specific period of time, up to one academic year, may request a leave of absence by contacting the Student Life Office (Kahl Campus Center Room 145, 518-292-1753). A leave of absence is not granted automatically; the student should be prepared to state the reason(s) (e.g., medical, personal, financial) for requesting the leave and complete the appropriate paperwork. The decision to grant a leave of absence is made by the Dean of Students in consultation with other administrators. Financial adjustments or refunds, if applicable, are made according to a published schedule. Students should also be aware that changing their status might affect current and future financial aid eligibility.

Administrative Withdrawal

Any student who does not appear on the list of registered students three weeks into any semester will be administratively withdrawn during the fourth week of classes and required to go through the re-admittance process. THIS IN NO WAY RELEASES THE STUDENT FROM FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS.

Student Financial Obligations

The College requires that students be financially responsible and not be delinquent in their financial obligations to the College. Students who fail to meet their financial obligations shall not be issued transcripts, allowed to register, or receive a diploma until such obligations are met.