Credit For Prior Learning
Sage recognizes skills and knowledge gained outside of the classroom through its Credit for Prior Learning Portfolio program. Many students coming to Sage have amassed expertise through employment, military, community service or personal life experience. The credit for prior learning program grants credit after successful completion of a portfolio that demonstrates college-level learning based on a faculty evaluation. Prior learning credits should support a student's goals and academic degree program.
- Must be a matriculated Sage student in a baccalaureate degree program
- Must have completed at least 3 credits at Sage with a "C" or better and be enrolled in an additional 3 credit course before credit is awarded.
- Overall average must be a 2.0 with a 2.2 in the major.
- Credit caps exist for prior learning as reflected in the following categories: 9 credits in the major; 9 credits in LIFE/general education credits; or up to 30 credits in general electives (with an overall cap of 30 credits)
- Students may request 1-3 credits per course.
- The CPL program is available during the fall and spring terms only
- Recommendation for interested students: in preparation for discussion with the Credit for Prior Learning Coordinator, students should review course descriptions to determine areas that their portfolios may include. The proposed portfolio courses should focus on skills and experiences supporting a college-level expertise or learning experience. On average, most students in the CPL program pursue 3-12 credits.
- Credit will be granted for college-level learning only, not for experience per se.
- While the College provides general guidance and assistance, it is each student's responsibility to complete a narrative and a portfolio of documentation, which will be the basis for awarding credit.
- The process of assessment and validation is conducted by the faculty.
- Credit under this program cannot be obtained for learning when proficiency exams are required by the appropriate department.
- Prior learning credits are considered external credits and do not count to the "institutional-based" credit requirement.
- The maximum combined transfer credits including credit for prior learning is 90 credits.
- Students are not eligible for the credit for prior learning program in their anticipated term of completion (i.e., graduation term).
- Participation in the prior learning portfolio program requires a one time enrollment fee of $150.00. Students must register for NCR 091 during the term in which they will be completing and handing in their portfolio.
- Upon faculty assessment and approval of prior learning credit, students will be charged a per credit fee of $100.00 (up to a maximum of $1000.00 for 10 credits or more; subject to change). Portfolios must be submitted to the Prior Learning Coordinator by the last day of classes as indicated on the College academic calendar.
- A full-time member of The Sage Colleges faculty designated by the Coordinator will evaluate the portfolio and determine if and how much credit the Student will receive. The Faculty Member provides the final decision on course information and number of credits. Faculty evaluation is available during the Fall and Spring semesters.
For more information
SPCE Dean's Office