Transfer of Benefits

Students who had been receiving veteran’s benefits at another college must complete a Change of Program/Place of Training form (VA form 22-1995)  for Veterans, Servicepersons, & Members of the Selected Reserve or VA form 22-5495 for Survivors’ & Dependents’ Education Assistance) to receive benefits at The Sage Colleges. These forms can be completed on line by using VONAPP. A copy of this form needs to be sent to the VA Certifying official at Sage.

What to send The Sage Colleges VA Certifying Official

  1. Copy of DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty)
  2. Copy of Change of Program/Place of Training Form
  3. Copy of Certificate of Eligibility

Certification of Enrollment

For all chapter benefits (with the exception of Chapter 31) the VA Certifying Official at The Sage Colleges must notify the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) your enrollment each semester. It is your responsibility to contact our office at which time you are fully registered for a term. Your enrollment will be certified with the DVA shortly thereafter. IMPORTANT: IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO NOTIFY THE VA CERTIFYING OFFICIAL WHEN WITHDRAWING OR ADDING A COURSE. You can stop at our office and bring a copy of your official withdrawal showing the date(s) of withdrawal. If you plan on attending summer courses, you will also need to contact the VA Certifying official or you can contact:

Shawn Heller
Assistant Director of Veteran Recruitment
[email protected]

Please note that Veterans Education Benefits at this time are considered a resource in the Financial Aid package and adjustments to other aid will be made as required by law. To find out what education benefits you quailify for and an application for VA benefits, please visit

Scholarships and Awards for Veterans: For further information about scholarships and awards for veterans and to apply please visit the Higher Education Services Corporation’s Military Corner. Questions may be addressed to 1-888-697-4372 or e-mail at [email protected].

Chapter 30 (Veterans GI Bill)

Educational assistance program available to fully honorably discharged veterans who meet eligibility criteria explained in detail on the Department of Veterans Affairs website Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (MGIB-AD)

*Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act)

The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 provides benefits to individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. These individuals must have served at least 90 aggregate days or have been discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.

Under this bill, veterans may receive benefits for training they pursue on or after August 1, 2009. Benefits are not available for training pursued prior to that date. Eligible training includes undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs pursued at a university or college that is authorized to grant an associate’s degree or higher.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits

This bill provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Benefits are generally payable for 15 years following your release from active duty. Payments are based on the amount of service you completed after September 10, 2001. You will receive a larger benefit if you served more active duty or mobilization time.

If you are eligible for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you may receive a(n):

  • Payment for tuition and fees sent directly to your university or college
  • Monthly housing allowance**
  • Annual book stipend of $1,000**
  • One-time rural benefit payment of $500

Maximum benefits are earned if you served an aggregate of 36 months or more on active duty service or after 30 days of continuous service if you were discharged for a service connected disability after September 10, 2001. If you served between 90 days and 36 months of aggregate active duty service, you will be eligible for a percentage of the maximum benefits.

**Note: The housing allowance and books and supplies stipend are not payable if you are on active duty, enrolled as a half-time students or less and enrolled in distance learning.

Chapter 1606 (Reserves/National Guard)

This program may be available if you are a member of a selected reserve. More eligibility information on Chapter 1606 is provided on the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP))

Eligibility information on Chapter 1607 is provided on the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Chapter 35 (Survivor’s and Dependents Educational Assistance program (DEA))

The spouse, child, stepchild or adopted child of a veteran who is deceased (service-connected) or who is 100% disabled (service-connected) may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits. Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)

Any veteran receiving at least 10% permanent, service-connected disability from the DVA can apply for this benefit. Approval is made on a case-by-case basis and is managed at the state level. To learn more about or apply for Chapter 31 benefits in NYS, call 1-800-827-1000.

IMPORTANT: IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO NOTIFY THE VA CERTIFYING OFFICIAL WHEN WITHDRAWING OR ADDING A COURSE. You can stop at our office and bring a copy of your official withdrawal showing the date(s) of withdrawal. Also if you plan on attending SUMMER courses, you need to contact the VA Certifying official as well.

VA Resources & Forms

There are many resources available for students with Veteran Benefits. The links below are meant to assist you in locating these Resources.


  • VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Education Benefits – Active Duty & Reserves)
  • VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of VA Education Program or Place of Training)
  • VA Form 22-5490 (Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance)
  • VA Form 22-5495 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training Survivors’ & Dependents)

Buffalo Regional Processing Center
VA Regional Processing Office
130 South Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14202

General Information call Toll-Free: 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)