The purpose of the Office of Marketing and Communications is to enhance the image and reputation of The Sage Colleges, both within and outside the institution.
Our overall goals are to:
- increase awareness of Sage’s strengths among target audiences
- implement a consistent college-wide, branded image
- stimulate and enable the sharing of information among the Sage community
We operate as an in-house service agency, and are here to help you crystallize your message and present it in a way that is compelling, professional, and fits the Sage brand.
We strive to anticipate the needs and reactions of your target audience. So we want to make sure that your material is well organized, the writing is clear and easy to understand, the claims are sound and well supported, and the language and imagery are appropriate and engaging.
Services we provide for the Colleges include:
Graphic Design & Production
- consistency of institutional image
- internal and external collateral for all areas of the college
- alumni publications: Connections for Russell Sage College graduates and Crossroads for all other Sage graduates
- annual institutional showcase magazine, Horizons
- press releases, advisories, pitches
- news conferences
- media tracking (gathering and reporting on news hits)
Special Writing Projects
- recruitment marketing
- alumni publications
- www.sage.edu website
- strategic web and web-content development
- online communication tools
- social-media management and advisement
Photo Usage Policy
The Sage Colleges reserves the right to use photograph(s), video(s) and soundbite(s), taken of or obtained from people/students on campus and/or at college-sponsored events for the purpose of promoting, publicizing, recruiting or public relations involving the colleges. This could be in the form of print or electronic media, which includes but is not limited to such things as the sage.edu web site, college publications (printed admission packages, brochures, magazines, catalogues, video productions, television/radio broadcasts, newspapers, newsletters, social media, etc.) and/or fundraising publications for college clubs or organizations.
Upon arrival on Sage’s campuses, people give their implied consent to the college to use these materials in any lawful purpose as detailed above. Photograph(s) and video footage may be obtained from both informal and formal settings. All negatives, positives, prints, digital image files and raw footage are the property of The Sage Colleges. If anyone wishes to withdraw his or her consent to the College for photography or videography usage, he or she may contact the Communications and Public Relations office at 518-244-2246.
In general, the web site and most publications do not include credits. When credits are used in College publications, however, photo credits to individual photographers will be included in the form of “Name of Photographer.” When photos are supplied to external organizations, photo credits will be included in the form of “The Sage Colleges/Name of Photographer.”
Photographs of minor visitors to campus, such as elementary students, summer campers, and those planning on attending non-Sage sponsored events held on campus should not include identifying information, including name or hometown. Written parental permission is required before using photography that includes identifying information, such as name or hometown. For students attending programs on campus with their school, a photo permission signed for the school is sufficient.
The Office of Marketing and Communications at Sage is led by Senior Director Heidi Weber and includes a small but talented team of communication experts with specialties in graphic design, writing and publications, public and media relations, web and social media, and photography. And with decades of collective experience at The Sage Colleges, we enjoy sharing our expertise and enthusiasm in “communicating Sage.”
90 1st Street, Troy Campus
Staff listed alphabetically by last name
- manages and maintains Sage’s website, www.sage.edu
- administers content management system and users
- performs and reports on web analytics
- composes a variety of special writing projects for institutional and alumni audiences, including news stories and press releases, blog posts and web content
Photographer & Communications Assistant
- photographs priority Sage events, employees and students
- builds and maintains photo archive for design projects
- helps coordinate office events and displays
Bethany Van Velsor
Senior Graphic Designer
- designs marketing materials such as brochures, fliers, posters, logo design, web ads, and prints ads
- designs environmental graphics such as indoor and outdoor signage, banners, stage displays, t-shirts, and billboards
- designs graphics for sage.edu and e-communications
Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
- manages the Marketing and Communications staff including community and media relations, website, social media, photography, publications, graphic design and marketing
- media outreach and strategic media relations planning
- serves on Sage’s crisis communications team
- strategic planning for and coordinate production of marketing tools for admissions, advancement/alumni relations and academic affairs