Frequently Asked Questions

Who is my Faculty Advisor?
For academic advising, registration, and graduation planning assistance, undergraduate students work with their assigned Faculty Advisor from their major department, also known as, Faculty Advisor (major).
The Faculty Advisor (major) is your primary advisor and a helpful resource on academic planning topics.
Your Faculty Advisor’s name and contact information is listed in your Self Service account. In Student Planning go to My Progress. On the My Progress main page in the At a Glance section, click on the blue Show Program Notes link. (See the My Progress image below).
Undergraduate day students must be cleared for registration each semester by their Faculty Advisor (major).

 Go to Passport – Self Service – Student Planning – My ProgressShow Program Notes link.
Click on the link to see Faculty Advisor (major) name & contact information.
Image: Self Service > Student Planning > My Progress main page.

How to Request a Major change or Add a Minor or Advisor change?
The Office of Academic Advising ([email protected]) assists students with: changing their major, catalog year, adding a minor, or with faculty advisor change requests.
Students wishing to change their major program may do so by sending an email to, [email protected], with their name, student ID#,  and brief statement listing the change or changes they are seeking. Note: some major change requests require meeting with the Advising Office. Some major programs have specific admission GPA requirements.
Students who are undecided also work with the Advising Office. See the resources page for more information
Students wishing to change their assigned faculty advisor may do so by sending an email to [email protected].
All academic program changes require the approval of the Advising Office.
Requests to drop a minor may be sent to the Registrar’s Office, [email protected].
Change of Major/add a Minor policy information:

How to Withdraw from a Class?
Submit withdrawal request in writing (email) by the Last day to Withdraw from Class. The course withdrawal date is listed on the Academic Calendar. Important: first discuss if course withdrawal is needed or recommended with the Course Instructor. If you learn you need to withdraw from the course, discuss with your Faculty Advisor-major how course withdrawal affects degree progress and graduation. And, discuss with the Financial Aid Office how course withdrawal will affect your current and future financial aid and scholarship status.

Course Withdrawal Request (W grade) – options
You may request course withdrawal by email. Send request to the Registrar’s Office from your Sage email account by deadline listed on the Academic Calendar.
— Required in the email, must include in the cc: line, your Faculty Advisor-major, Course Instructor, and the Financial Aid Office ([email protected]).

How is my Grade Point Average (GPA) calculated?
See the Catalog for an example:
GPA Formula: Total Quality Points ÷ Total GPA credits = GPA. GPA is based on credits completed and grades earned at Russell Sage College. RSC grade point averages are calculated to the third decimal place.
GPA calculator:

When do I Register for Classes?
See Registration Timeline:
→ Registration Instructions & Video:

How to request the Pass/Fail Grade for a non-major or non-minor course?
The completed P/F request form is due by the Last Day to Opt for Pass/Fail deadline as listed on the Academic Calendar. Note: if you earn an F grade, it is a real grade that goes on the transcript and is included in GPA calculation.
→ Pass/Fail Request Form (Registrar’s Office Google Form)
→ Pass/Fail grade policy:

I am on a Wait-list. How do I get in the class?
The waitlist process is handled by the Registrar’s Office. You will receive an email from [email protected] when a seat becomes available with instructions and a deadline to register for the class in Student Planning. Once the email is sent you have approximately 48-72 hours to register for the class.
• If you miss the deadline, you will lose your seat and you will have to put yourself back on the class waitlist.
Note: course instructors cannot approve or give you a seat or register you for the class. Department chairperson permission is required.

I am a current student. Can I take a summer transfer course?
→ Prior approval is required for current students to transfer new credits to their Sage record. See Catalog for policy on transfer of credit after matriculation.

1) Student completes the Student Transfer Credit Approval Form (Registrar’s Office google form) for each course they wish to transfer:

2) Student requests an official transcript be sent directly to Sage when class/term ends. Note: a course grade of C- or higher (1.700) is required for credits to transfer. The transfer college Registrar’s Office mails to Sage an official transcript in a sealed envelope (US mail) to: Russell Sage College, Office of Admission, 140 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208. OR — Electronic transcripts may be emailed from the transfer college directly to Sage: [email protected]

3) Transfer credit guide for new enrolling students [PDF]

When do newly enrolled students register?
See New UG Student Advising Notes [Link]