Residents have the option of keeping a small pet on campus.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is considered a small pet?
Hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, rats, mice, rabbits, chinchillas, and cats are considered small pets, and must be properly registered with and approved by The Office of Residence Life before residing on campus. The acquisition of a cat, purchased, fostered, adopted, or stray, while a student at Sage, is prohibited.

Small pets are only allowed in pet friendly designated housing on the Troy campus. Fish contained in an unheated bowl will continue to be allowed in all residence halls.

How many pets can I have on campus?
You may have up to two small pets on campus with the exception of cats. Students are not permitted to own more than one cat while residing on campus.

Where is pet-friendly housing available?
Pet-friendly housing is available on the Troy campus. Specific buildings and floors are to be determined.

I am a student on the Albany campus. Can I apply for pet-friendly housing?
Yes! Any student from either campus may request to live in pet friendly housing.

Can I bring an animal as a freshman student to campus?
First-year students are currently not allowed to have a small pet on campus.

When do I have to register my animal?
You must register your animal prior to the Room Reservation process, typically in April of each year. Registration does not mean that you will be accepted into pet-friendly housing, and, in the event that the number of registered animals exceeds the number of spaces available, room assignment will proceed according to a student’s lottery number.

How much does it cost to register an animal on campus?
The cost is $150.00 per semester applied to your student account.

Is there a College veterinarian that conducts health checks on the animals?
No. Students are required to find and maintain their own veterinary services.

What happens if my pet gets loose in the building?
A non-refundable $300 fine will be applied to your student account if your small pet becomes lost in the residence hall.

What vaccinations does my cat need to have prior to living on campus?
Cats are required to have up-to-date vaccinations for the following:

  • Feline Distemper (Panleukopenia)
  • Feline Rhinotraheitis (FVR)
  • Feline Calicivirus (FCV)
  • Feline Pneumonitis
  • Feline Leukemia
  • Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
  • Rabies
  • Heartworm

How old must my cat be to live on campus?
Your cat must be at least six months old and have lived with the student or student’s family for at least three months.

Does my cat have to be spayed or neutered?
Your cat must be spayed or neutered at the time of registration and a veterinarian certification is required.

Ready to apply?

Note that completing an application does not guarantee approval.