Sage offers many opportunities for students to explore the world through Study Abroad and Study Away programs. Such experiences are essential to gaining the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in today’s global society. Additionally, international experience will broaden students’ perspectives and expand their multi-cultural thinking.
“Studying abroad has completely transformed my life. Not only have I learned more about the world around me, but I’ve also learned a lot about myself. I’ve become more independent in the few months I’ve been away from home and this trip has instilled a love of travel in me that no doubt will last a lifetime. I feel truly blessed for this experience. Thank you Sage!” – Annalise Krajeski (RSC ’14)
So, you’re thinking of studying abroad?
Students who intend to study abroad or away for a semester must meet the academic criteria listed below to be considered for participation:
- Must be a sophomore by academic standing
- Maintain a 3.000 GPA or higher (some programs require a higher GPA, check with each program)
- Must be a full time student the semester prior to studying abroad and during the term a student is abroad/away
- Receive approval by the Dean of your home campus to study abroad/away
Study Abroad To Do List
One Year in Advance
- Download and complete Sage Study Abroad process and program application (Due Feb. 15)
- Schedule meeting with Dean of home campus to determine abroad program of interest
- Schedule meeting with Academic Advisor to discuss program requirements and credit
- Schedule meeting with Financial Aid to discuss implications on financial aid award
One Semester in Advance (once accepted in a program)
- Schedule meeting with Financial Aid to complete all necessary financial aid paperwork
- Schedule on-going monthly meetings with Dean of home campus to complete all necessary processes for the College and program
- Apply for all travel papers (Visas, passports, etc.)
- Increase language usage if you are going to a non-English speaking country
Sage is affiliated with a number of other institutions and organizations to offer a wide variety of study abroad opportunities. Whatever the major, a deeper understanding of another culture and more proficiency in another language can help better achieve one’s goals. Below are some of the programs with which we are affiliated.
One of the top 100 environmental think tanks in the world, the Arava Institute in Israel is a leading environmental and academic institution in the Middle East, dedicated to preparing future leaders from Israel, Palestine, Jordan, and around the world to cooperatively solve the regional and global challenges of our time.
Sage is proud to offer this incredible opportunity to support one Russell Sage student per academic year to travel and spend a semester studying at the Arava Institute. This grant may be used to cover costs associated with the trip including but not limited to program costs, room, board, health insurance, educational field trips, airfare, transfers, visas, food, transportation, etc. Any costs that exceed the available funds are the responsibility of the student.
American Institute for Foreign Study
Sage is affiliated with the American Institute of Foreign Study, which has study and programs in 21 countries and an internship program in the United Kingdom. Some of these programs also offer summer study or service learning opportunities
Financing and Aid
Preparing for study abroad includes meeting with a representative of The Sage College’s Financial Aid office to determine eligibility. Specific details regarding how financial aid will impact study abroad travel is made on an individual basis.
Sage students can also choose to study for a semester in a select group of other American Universities and Colleges. To see a list of these American Universities and Colleges, visit the NAC&U website.
International Students Study at Sage
Sage welcomes international students from around the globe and around the corner. Our small vibrant campuses offer international students a comfortable environment to succeed academically and personally. If you are an international student interested in The Sage Colleges, we would love to hear from you and answer whatever questions you may have about the Colleges, Troy and Albany, New York, or the United States and how we can help you feel at home when you are so far from yours.